* allowing coding invalid systems
@ 2005-06-07 10:19 Jochen Küpper
       [not found] ` <9emzq2mpu9.fsf-G2iyDNEOhahHYNAXZw2rCoRsZ6cCL1yJ@public.gmane.org>
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-06-07 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a homebuild function to mail-forward (spam) messages to the
appropriate address. I'd liked to be disturbed as little as possible
by potential problems with these messages, so I switch off some syntax
checks:
,----[(let ...]
|        (message-syntax-checks '((control-chars . disabled)
|                                 (illegible-text . disabled)
|                                 (sender . disabled)))
`----[...body...]

However, since more and more spam is send using wrong coding systems, i.e.
,----
| charset="unicode-1-1-utf-7"
`----
sending a digest containing this message fails Gnus telling me that
the coding system is not valid.

Is there a way to force sending of such messages?

If not, would there be a way to check for messages that have the wrong
charset and  exclude them from the digest?

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* unicode-1-1-utf-7 (was: allowing invalid coding systems)
       [not found] ` <9emzq2mpu9.fsf-G2iyDNEOhahHYNAXZw2rCoRsZ6cCL1yJ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-07-01 16:54   ` Jochen Küpper
       [not found]     ` <m3ekai79hb.fsf-X+QEHg5KIgm/8B4OpmtwqPxnRIzENc/G@public.gmane.org>
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-07-01 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen-+It19tn3Rl9sbm7dSapR3bNAH6kLmebB@public.gmane.org> writes:

> However, since more and more spam is send using [...]
> ,----
> | charset="unicode-1-1-utf-7"
> `----
> [..]. fails Gnus telling me that the coding system is not valid.

This is using
,----
| GNU Emacs 22.0.50.21 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.14)
| No Gnus v0.4
`----

Looking into this a little further I found utf-7.el from Emacs:
,----
| ;;; utf-7.el --- utf-7 coding system
|
| ;; Copyright (C) 2003  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
|
| ;; Author: Dave Love <fx-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org>
`----

So I put the following two statements in .gnus, but it doesn't help:
,----
| (require 'utf-7)
| (add-to-list 'mm-charset-synonym-alist '(unicode-1-1-utf-7 . utf-7))
`----
I also tried to quote unicode-1-1-utf-7 and other random variations,
but I could not get this working.

The only related thread I could find on google is around
,----
| http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2005-02/msg00071.html
`----
However, I could not find this patch and also would not know how it
would help here.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: unicode-1-1-utf-7
       [not found]     ` <m3ekai79hb.fsf-X+QEHg5KIgm/8B4OpmtwqPxnRIzENc/G@public.gmane.org>
@ 2005-07-02 11:40       ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-07-02 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jochen Küpper <jochen-+It19tn3Rl9sbm7dSapR3bNAH6kLmebB@public.gmane.org> writes:

> So I put the following two statements in .gnus, but it doesn't help:
> ,----
> | (require 'utf-7)
> | (add-to-list 'mm-charset-synonym-alist '(unicode-1-1-utf-7 . utf-7))
> `----
> I also tried to quote unicode-1-1-utf-7 and other random variations,
> but I could not get this working.

Btw, if I manually change the charset from "unicode-1-1-utf-7" to
"utf-7" sending the message does work.