* broken message-newline-and-reformat
@ 2004-06-30 11:55 Vladimir Volovich
       [not found] ` <m3brj1xnu2.fsf-rcuzG4bEBMwvJsYlp49lxw@public.gmane.org>
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 2004-06-30 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

in the current gnus from CVS, the message-newline-and-reformat
function (M-RET in *mail* buffer) is broken:

suppose that we have this text:

 AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
 AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
 AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
 AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text

and then put cursur somewhere in the text, and use M-RET, we get this:

 AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
 AA> text text text text text text

  AA> text text text text text text AA> text text text text text text text
	text text text text text AA> text text text text text text text text
	text text text text

Best,
v.

* Re: broken message-newline-and-reformat
       [not found] ` <m3brj1xnu2.fsf-rcuzG4bEBMwvJsYlp49lxw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-06-30 13:53   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-06-30 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:55:01 +0400 Vladimir Volovich wrote:

Vladimir> in the current gnus from CVS, the
Vladimir> message-newline-and-reformat function (M-RET in *mail*
Vladimir> buffer) is broken:

Not for me.

[...]
Vladimir> and then put cursur somewhere in the text, and use M-RET, we
Vladimir> get this:

I get the following, which looks ok to me:

AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
AA> text text text text text text text text

AA> text text text text
AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: broken message-newline-and-reformat
@ 2004-06-30 19:12     ` Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 2004-06-30 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jochen" == Jochen Küpper writes:

 Vladimir> in the current gnus from CVS, the
 Vladimir> message-newline-and-reformat function (M-RET in *mail*
 Vladimir> buffer) is broken:

 Jochen> Not for me.

that's strange. anyone else who is willing to test?

 Jochen> [...]
 Vladimir> and then put cursur somewhere in the text, and use M-RET,
 Vladimir> we get this:

 Jochen> I get the following, which looks ok to me:

AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
AA> text text text text text text text text

AA> text text text text
AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text

your version doesn't look reformatted (the second part's first line is
incomplete), so it doesn't look correct either.

@ 2004-07-01  2:59 ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2004-07-01  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: vvv

On Wed Jun 30 2004 at 06:55, Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vsu.ru> said:

> Hi!
>
> in the current gnus from CVS, the message-newline-and-reformat
> function (M-RET in *mail* buffer) is broken:
>
> suppose that we have this text:
>
>  AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
>  AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
>  AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
>  AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
>
> and then put cursur somewhere in the text, and use M-RET, we get this:
>
>  AA> text text text text text text text text text text text text
>  AA> text text text text text text
>

>   AA> text text text text text text AA> text text text text text text text
> 	text text text text text AA> text text text text text text text text
> 	text text text text

Just traced the function - the second paragraph looks fine until
fill-paragraph fills it near the end of message-newline-and-reformat:

   (defun message-newline-and-reformat (&optional arg not-break)
     "Insert four newlines, and then reformat if inside quoted text.
   Prefix arg means justify as well."
     (interactive (list (if current-prefix-arg 'full)))
   [...]
         (if quoted
             (let* ((adaptive-fill-regexp
                     (regexp-quote (concat quoted leading-space)))
                    (adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp
                     adaptive-fill-regexp ))
=>             (fill-paragraph arg))
   [...]

bw
--
Bill White . billw@mchsi.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"The Eucharist is above all the sacrament of love, understood as gift