* gnus-unplugged and non agent groups
@ 2011-04-03 15:31 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-03 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nognus

My level 1 groups are all local servers:

nnml & nntp localhost (leafnode).

Neither are agentised. In my set up only level 1 are activated at gnus
start. gnus-activate-level is 1.

Is it correct that they are not polled when I start gnus-unplugged? The
term unplugged, if I understand correctly, should only apply to servers
marked as agentised. These local nntp and nnml are not.

From the manual :

,----
|    Gnus is never really in plugged or unplugged state.  Rather, it
| applies that state to each server individually.  This means that some
| servers can be plugged while others can be unplugged.  Additionally,
| some servers can be ignored by the Agent altogether (which means that
| they're kinda like plugged always).
`----

They are activated in that if they have unread posts already they are
visible. BUT, in the case of nnml, it does not suck in any new mail from
the spool when I run gnus-unplugged : e.g if all mail is read, I quit
gnus, send a local mail to /var/mail/shamrock when I restart, gnus is
not reading it in.

To work around this I can to start gnus at level 1 plugged which also
sucks in new mail/posts from level 1 sources and then toggle it
unplugged and this is fine

,----
| ;;  (define-key mode-specific-map [?m] 'gnus-unplugged)
|   (define-key mode-specific-map [?m] (lambda()(interactive) (gnus-agent-toggle-plugged t)(gnus 1)(gnus-agent-toggle-plugged nil)))
`----

but again the flexibility makes me wonder if I am using it
correctly. Note I need to specifically set it to plugged before calling
(gnus 1) because gnus remembers the plugged state between gnus sessions
in the same emacs instance. e.g quit unplugged and gnus starts
unplugged when calling (gnus).

I would still expect unagentised, active servers to suck in new messages
when I call gnus-unplugged. Is this incorrect on my part?

* Re: gnus-unplugged and non agent groups
@ 2011-04-12 16:03 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Is it correct that they are not polled when I start gnus-unplugged?

Yes, I think so.  I seem to remember the -request-scan functions not
being run when Gnus is unplugged, which makes sense, I think.

* Re: gnus-unplugged and non agent groups
@ 2011-04-12 16:10   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-12 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Is it correct that they are not polled when I start gnus-unplugged?
>
> Yes, I think so.  I seem to remember the -request-scan functions not
> being run when Gnus is unplugged, which makes sense, I think.

But as I mentioned, in all the bits snipped, "unplugged" only refers to
agentised groups. This my point. There fore non agentised should fetch
when you start gnus-unplugged since the unplugged should only refer to
the agentised groups.

* Re: gnus-unplugged and non agent groups
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-04-12 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> But as I mentioned, in all the bits snipped, "unplugged" only refers to
> agentised groups.

Nope.  If Gnus is unplugged all outgoing mail goes into the queue, for
instance.

The "covered by the Agent" per-backend thing only says what groups
should be downloaded and stored locally.  There are global consequences
to the unpluggedness, too.