From: Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>
To: Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Guns and Privacy : sample use case/tutorial effort
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 13:20:20 +0100	[thread overview]

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> ---8<---[snipped 61 lines]---8<---
>>
>> The loading of this file would cause emacs or the system to prompt you
>> for a password to decrypt the file if the agent (gpg-agent) or emacs
>> hasnt already cached the password for that key. This prompt can be an
>> issue if you're using the emacs daemon especially if starting the
>> process at system login. When to prompt? One nice way is to only load
>> the gpg file when you create an emacs frame. e.g
>>
>> ,----
>> |    (defun load-secure-config(frame)
>> |      (require 'my-config "my-config.gpg"))
>> |
>> |    (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions 'load-secure-config)
>> `----
>>
>> Here we see that the private configuration information is only loaded and
>> decrypted when you actually bring up an emacs frame - generally that
>> would be sufficient in the case of gnus.
>
> Just wondering, how does this prevent emacs from prompting when there's
> no frame?

This is aimed at the initial load : it only loads after the initial
frame. It then assumes that the password is cached. Clearly if the
password is then needed again (cache expiry)  in something involving gnus then there is
generally a frame available anyway.

> I used to start emacs-daemon on system start, and ran into this problem,
> but that was in conjunction with desktop.el. Opening pdf's asks if you

I stopped using desktop.el for related reasons.