* Recognize FQDN
@ 1999-12-11 19:40 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-11 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus now looks to see if (system-name) evals to a string containing at
least one dot, and if so, it assumes that this is a FQDN.  But it
seems that many people have machines where the string is
"localhost.localdomain" or "foo.bar" (or, in one case, "egon.matrix").

Should Gnus do something clever in these cases?  If so, what?

kai

* Re: Recognize FQDN
@ 1999-12-11 20:55 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-12-11 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Gnus now looks to see if (system-name) evals to a string containing
> at least one dot, and if so, it assumes that this is a FQDN.

That's the way it's always been done.  Many programs assume that when
hostname contains a dot, it means it's FQDN.  Emacs itself does that.

> But it seems that many people have machines where the string is
> "localhost.localdomain" or "foo.bar" (or, in one case,
> "egon.matrix").

Isn't this broken?

* Re: Recognize FQDN
@ 1999-12-11 21:44   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-11 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
> > But it seems that many people have machines where the string is
> > "localhost.localdomain" or "foo.bar" (or, in one case,
> > "egon.matrix").
>
> Isn't this broken?

Maybe, but Gnus already provides a workaround for a different case of
brokenness (having just the host name).

kai

* Re: Recognize FQDN
@ 1999-12-11 22:19     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-12-11 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe, but Gnus already provides a workaround for a different case
> of brokenness (having just the host name).

You mean having `hostname' return just the host name rather than FQDN?
That might be broken, depending on who you ask, but it is so common
that it has to be dealt with if you don't want your software to be
broken almost everywhere.

On the other hand, I've never seen a host with the `hostname' that
contains a dot, and which wasn't FQDN.  Not one that would call itself
properly configured, anyway.