* Reading in an arbitrary .newsrc file?
@ 1999-12-03 15:44 Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-12-03 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is probably a dumb question, but, well.  :-)

I have an old .newsrc file (from the same news server that I'm
currently using, so there's no problem there) that I'd like to
incorporate into my current .newsrc.eld.  In other words, I'd like to
suck in (technical term) all of the groups from that old .newsrc file,
preserving their current status (articles read, etc.) in my
.newsrc.eld.

Is this possible, or am I just being perverse?  I'm using gnus 5.8.0,
btw.

-Emerick
       "i am a lost soul, i shoot myself with rock and roll,
  the hole i dig is bottomless, but nothing else can set me free."
--- Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> --------- 'i am a scientist', gbv

* Re: Reading in an arbitrary .newsrc file?
@ 1999-12-03 17:11 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-12-03 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> I have an old .newsrc file (from the same news server that I'm
> currently using, so there's no problem there) that I'd like to
> incorporate into my current .newsrc.eld.  In other words, I'd like
> to suck in (technical term) all of the groups from that old .newsrc
> file, preserving their current status (articles read, etc.) in my
> .newsrc.eld.
>
> Is this possible, or am I just being perverse?

No problem, I think.

Just make sure that Gnus saves a normal `.newsrc' file
(`gnus-save-newsrc-file' should be non-nil), exit Gnus, join the two
files using Emacs, `cat', or whatever you use to concatenate files,
and save the joined contents as `.newsrc'.  Fire up Gnus, and it
should notice the addition.

I haven't tried it, but it Should Work(tm).  After all, the beginning
of .newsrc.eld says:

;; Never delete this file -- if you want to force Gnus to read the
;; .newsrc file (if you have one), touch .newsrc instead.

So it Should Work.