* Bad sorting of e-mails received from Gmail
@ 2012-09-22 15:29 wvxvw
From: wvxvw @ 2012-09-22 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello, list,

I've asked about this some time ago at Stackoverflow and Google groups
dedicated to Gmail, but there was no answer, so I'll try here too.

The problem:
Mail received from Gmail is fetched and displayed with bad sorting.
Concretely, mails from ancient times are mixed with the recent ones,
while mails received today are not received at all. I'm hoping this
is not a bug, just a bad default configuration, but couldn't find any
way to affect that.

More detailed explanation:
E-mails I've read are not received, unless they were marked as
"important", not necessarily by me - Gmails takes liberties to mark
them as it likes... unfortunately, there's no way to cancel that
behaviour in Gmail. Unread e-mails will be grouped on what seems like
a week or so basis and then followed by the e-mails with the
"important" status from the same time.

How would I like it to be:
E-mails are ordered on the basis of when they were received only.
The e-mails I've already opened appear with the e-mails I didn't open.

I have also tried re-alpine to make sure this is not some Gmail
odd behaviour. re-alpine receives and display e-mails by default
in the order I've described above.

TIA.

Oleg

* Re: Bad sorting of e-mails received from Gmail
@ 2012-09-23 13:51 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2012-09-23 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wvxvw; +Cc: ding

wvxvw <olegsivokon@gmail.com> writes:

  [a note about not 'receiving' emails from gmail, that I didn't
  precisely understand]

I have seen some odd behavior that may or may not be related.

I use gnus (from git master), emacs 23.3 (most recent release), NetBSD
5.1_STABLE, dovecot 1.2.latest.   Generally things work fine.

Sometimes, I find that a message in my IMAP INBOX does not appear in the
summary buffer.  I see the message with other IMAP clients (thunderbird,
Mail.app).  I can ^U M-g and still not have the message appear.  If I
move the message to another folder and move it back, often it will
appear.

I have not managed to read the debug logs to figure out what's going on.
(Usually when this happens it's a message I have to deal with for work,
and I do that and move on, not having spare gnus-hacking time that
moment.)  Because my bug report is lame, I haven't yet sent it - but am
speaking up now because it may be a different manifestation of the same
problem.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: Bad sorting of e-mails received from Gmail
@ 2012-09-23 14:49   ` Left Right
From: Left Right @ 2012-09-23 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: ding

I thought I'd link my SO question here for the example of what is
happening, just so people won't get confused:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12128809/emacs-gnus-receiving-mail-disorder
here it is.