* Re: bbdb-ignore-message-alist
       [not found] <CAOFALwJXyr0tzKch9zOLeOc+m_hgB9Jzo4p7BBVnyCxGAbFQrg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-09-08 16:18 ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2012-09-08 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mitchel Humpherys; +Cc: ding, bbdb-info

On Tue Aug 28 2012 Mitchel Humpherys wrote:
> I'd like to configure bbdb to not auto-notice addresses in mailing
> list mail. I'm trying to use the `X-Mailing-List' and
> `X-Mailman-Version' headers, since those seem to be consistently
> present on all the mailing lists I read, but it doesn't seem to be
> working (i.e. bbdb still offers to save email addresses from mails
> containing those headers)... What am I doing wrong?
>
> (setq bbdb-ignore-message-alist
>       '((("X-Mailman-Version" "X-Mailing-List") . ".*")))

I am trying to crosspost this on the gnus mailing list, too, because
your problem has to do with some subtleties of Gnus that go beyond
my knowledge of Gnus.

Gnus has two functions for accessing headers of a message,
gnus-fetch-field and gnus-fetch-original-field. The latter uses
gnus-original-article-buffer. I do not know which buffer the former
function is using. Only gnus-original-article-buffer contains the
X-* headers you want to access. But BBDB currently uses
gnus-fetch-field to access the headers of a Gnus message. So that's
why BBDB believes the messages had no X-* headers.

So my question is: What should BBDB do to access the headers of a
Gnus message in a way that is both reliable and efficient?

Thanks,

Roland

* [BBDB] ChangeLog 2012-09-8 (bbdb-ignore-message-alist)
@ 2012-09-08 19:20   ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2012-09-08 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mitchel Humpherys; +Cc: bbdb-info, ding

On Sat Sep 8 2012 Roland Winkler wrote:
> Gnus has two functions for accessing headers of a message,
> gnus-fetch-field and gnus-fetch-original-field. The latter uses
> gnus-original-article-buffer. I do not know which buffer the former
> function is using. Only gnus-original-article-buffer contains the
> X-* headers you want to access. But BBDB currently uses
> gnus-fetch-field to access the headers of a Gnus message. So that's
> why BBDB believes the messages had no X-* headers.

I found a thread from last year on essentially the same question
that died at some point, see in particular

 http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/78741

So I replaced the call of gnus-fetch-field by
gnus-fetch-original-field.  Let me know if now
bbdb-ignore-message-alist works for you as expected.

2012-09-08  Roland Winkler  <winkler@gnu.org>
	* lisp/bbdb-mua.el (bbdb-message-header): Use
	gnus-fetch-original-field so that bbdb-select-message does not get
	fooled by an apparent absence of some headers.

BBDB is available at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb/
To check it out, use
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git

* Re: [BBDB] ChangeLog 2012-09-8 (bbdb-ignore-message-alist)
@ 2012-09-10 17:20     ` Mitchel Humpherys
From: Mitchel Humpherys @ 2012-09-10 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Winkler; +Cc: bbdb-info, ding