* [sdl.web@gmail.com: window-system in face definition]
@ 2007-10-28 13:50 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-28 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, emacs-devel

Would someone please DTRT then ack?

From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
To: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Subject: window-system in face definition
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:45:24 +0100

Dear Richard,

I intend to report a bug about Gnus which I have reported to Gnus
mailing list but apparently no one has paid attention.

Now that multi-tty has been merged into Emacs, window-system has become
a frame-local variable and is not sufficient to tell which single device
Emacs displays on or rather we should assume window-system is t in this
case. So the following code need to be changed (simplified)
accordingly. There might be other occurrences of such structure.

- ---- line 1119 of gnus-art.el ----

(defcustom gnus-treat-emphasize
  (and (or window-system
	   (featurep 'xemacs))
       50000)
  "Emphasize text.
Valid values are nil, t, `head', `first', `last', an integer or a
predicate.  See Info node `(gnus)Customizing Articles'."
  :group 'gnus-article-treat
  :link '(custom-manual "(gnus)Customizing Articles")
  :type gnus-article-treat-custom)

- ---------------------------------

Should be simplified to:

(defcustom gnus-treat-emphasize 5000
           ...)

HTH,
- --
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* Re: [sdl.web@gmail.com: window-system in face definition]
@ 2007-10-28 15:43 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-10-28 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel, Leo

On Sun, Oct 28 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Would someone please DTRT then ack?

Fixed in Gnus CVS.

> From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
> To: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Subject: window-system in face definition
[...]
> Now that multi-tty has been merged into Emacs, window-system has become
> a frame-local variable and is not sufficient to tell which single device
> Emacs displays on or rather we should assume window-system is t in this
> case. So the following code need to be changed (simplified)
> accordingly. There might be other occurrences of such structure.

For this specific variable it doesn't matter, but is `window-system'
no longer the right way to test if the current display is on a
window system?

,----[ <f1> v window-system RET ]
| window-system is a variable defined in `C source code'.
| Its value is x
|
| Documentation:
| Name of window system through which the selected frame is displayed.
| The value is a symbol--for instance, `x' for X windows.
| The value is nil if the selected frame is on a text-only-terminal.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: [sdl.web@gmail.com: window-system in face definition]
@ 2007-10-29  9:21   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-29  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: ding, emacs-devel, sdl.web

    For this specific variable it doesn't matter, but is `window-system'
    no longer the right way to test if the current display is on a
    window system?

I think it IS the right way, since the value of `window-system' will
vary according to each display.  But I am not 100% certain.