* Re: gnus/assistant.el
       [not found] <E1It5zt-0007zl-Mh@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2007-11-17 15:50 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-11-17 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding, emacs-devel

On Fri, Nov 16 2007, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Would someone please delete gnus/assistant.el from the trunk

I don't say it's wrong to remove the file.  But I was hoping that it
attracts more developers if it was installed somewhere in Emacs along
with a TODO entry.

Having an "install wizard" / "setup assistant" (i.e. the functionality
`assistant.el' provides) would probably be useful for other Emacs
packages or tasks as well.  See the "screenshot below for an example"
(`assistant.el' is not specific to Gnus).

Already finished (to the point of actually being usable):

- Definition of a texinfo-like format (*.ast) for the setup steps

- Parsing and rendering the *.ast files, widgets, ...

Most important missing functionality, AFAICS:

- Setting the variables (put them into the customize block)

- Navigation (goto the next *.ast file)

Bye, Reiner.

,----[ *Assistant Configuring Gnus for the first time* ]

`----
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus/assistant.el
@ 2007-11-17 23:31   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-17 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: larsi, ding, emacs-devel

    I don't say it's wrong to remove the file.  But I was hoping that it
    attracts more developers if it was installed somewhere in Emacs along
    with a TODO entry.

That might perhaps happen, I don't think it is a good idea to install
not-yet-working packages in Emacs.