* Re: One example of code I can't understand
       [not found] ` <jwvocrfw7t3.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-20 20:50   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-07-20 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel, ding

On Mon, Jul 20 2009, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> In Emacs-23 it doesn't make much sense (because unification, OFFSET is
> always 0).  It's used in mm-find-mime-charset-region (via
> mm-iso-8859-x-to-15-region) to provide a "poor man's unification":
[...]
> Now that we have utf-8, this is unnecessary since we can always encode
> the whole text with just a single coding-system, without having to break
> it down into chunks.

Please keep in mind that Gnus wants to support older Emacs versions
and XEmacs, see (info "(gnus)Emacsen").  So please don't remove this
code.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: One example of code I can't understand
@ 2009-07-21 14:41     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-07-21 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel, ding

    Please keep in mind that Gnus wants to support older Emacs versions
    and XEmacs, see (info "(gnus)Emacsen").  So please don't remove this
    code.

I'm going to remove this code in the version of the code that I
install elsewhere in Emacs.  But the functions in my version will have
different names, so the change won't affect Gnus.

* Re: One example of code I can't understand
@ 2009-07-21 17:34       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-07-21 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel, ding

On Tue, Jul 21 2009, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     Please keep in mind that Gnus wants to support older Emacs versions
>     and XEmacs, see (info "(gnus)Emacsen").  So please don't remove this
>     code.
>
> I'm going to remove this code in the version of the code that I
> install elsewhere in Emacs.  But the functions in my version will have
> different names, so the change won't affect Gnus.

Sounds like code duplication to me.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: One example of code I can't understand
@ 2009-07-22 22:21         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-07-22 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel, ding

    > I'm going to remove this code in the version of the code that I
    > install elsewhere in Emacs.  But the functions in my version will have
    > different names, so the change won't affect Gnus.

    Sounds like code duplication to me.

Yes, for the moment.  Eventually we can delete the corresponding code
from mm-util.el and replace it with aliases pointing at these
functions.  You could keep the old code to include in a compatibility
pack when distributing Gnus separately.