From: cartero@promainsur.com
Cc: ntemacs-users@cs.washington.edu, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Offtopic: Forwarding in MS Outlook
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:59:22 +0200	[thread overview]

On 28 Apr 2000 11:58:35 +0400, Roman Belenov <roman@nstl.nnov.ru> said:
>Sorry for such offtopic, but 1) the reason of my question is quite
>related to NT Emacs/Gnus 2) I don't know where to find info on MS
>Outlook.
>
>Is there any way to customize forwarding in MS Outlook so that it
>forwards all headers of the original message ?
>
>Actually I'm trying to make Gnus/Emacs work with MS Exchange server
>(if anybody knows better solution, please inform me - but read below
>for some details). Because of some changes in a company I'm working
>for in a few weeks I won't be able to use POP3 server I'm using now
>and POP3 will NOT be installed on MS Exchange server too (it's a
>company policy, not an administrator decision).
>
>The solution I'm trying to implement now is to make MS Outlook a
>gateway between Gnus/Emacs and Exchange. Since MS Exchange
>provides SMTP service (it seems that it won't be turned off), the
>problem is with fetching incoming mail. So I wrote simple MTA that
>simply saves incoming messages in the certain directory (it's enough
>for Gnus) and made Outlook forward messages I'm interested in to that
>MTA. The only problem is that MS Outlook strips almost all headers from the
>message, so it's impossible to sort them and so on. Is there any way
>to make Outlook forward messages verbatim ? Although even this
>crippled solution may work (well, it's possible to sort messages
>inside Outlook sending them to different addresses and then make
>necessary fields in MTA based on recipient address) I hope it can be
>enhanced.

Hi Roman,

A better solution would be to write a variant of movemail.exe that uses
MAPI to get mail directly from the Exchange server.  When I first
started at my current job last summer, I thought I would have to do
this, but then found out the POP3 service was actually installed and it
was a DNS problem stopping me from seeing it.  So I never got as far as
writing this program, although a month before that there was some
discussion about it.  The mail is archived here:

  http://www.egroups.com/messagesearch/ntemacs-users?query=mapi

But if you are willing to work on it (necessity and all that), then I
can offer some help.  Even though I have POP access to Exchange, I would
actually prefer to have direct MAPI access, because the POP service
seems to take it upon itself to reformat messages, wrapping long lines
and omitting some "inline" attachments, and generally doing things that
irritate me.

We could also provide the sending part of the MAPI solution, and make
the whole thing part of Emacs proper, if you are willing to assign
copyright to the FSF (and get a disclaimer from your employer if
relevant).

AndrewI