* Problem with Gnus and duplicate messages.
@ 1997-02-11 10:00 Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-11 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eze Ogwuma

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what's going on. I am using Gnus to read my mail via
nnml. I also use nndoc to incorporate news spools from other machines and
I am testing nndir as a way to incorporate burst digests.

When I get duplicate messages like announcements from "ding-announce" and
"ding" Gnus only displays one of them and no matter what I do I can't get
it to display them all.

If I use "G f" to access a mail spool file copied to my machine all of the
messages are not displayed.

Using "M P b" to mark and then "B r" to respool the messages only respools
the messages displayed.

Yesterday I respooled a nndir file with over 6380 messages in it to a new
nnml folder but Gnus only respooled about 5630.

Some of these messages were already on the system in other folders.

I don't mind not having to see duplicate messages, but I need Gnus to
move and respool them just like they were visible.

I am using 5.4.11 (soon to be 5.4.12) with the default nnml settings for
duplicates.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Eze Ogwuma.

* Re: Problem with Gnus and duplicate messages.
@ 1997-02-11 12:54 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> When I get duplicate messages like announcements from "ding-announce" and
> "ding" Gnus only displays one of them and no matter what I do I can't get
> it to display them all.

That's odd.  What's your `nnmail-treat-duplicates' variable?

> If I use "G f" to access a mail spool file copied to my machine all of the
> messages are not displayed.

Only one copy of messages with the same Message-ID will be displayed.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Problem with Gnus and duplicate messages.
@ 1997-02-11 22:21   ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-11 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Eze Ogwuma

On 11 Feb 1997, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > When I get duplicate messages like announcements from "ding-announce" and
> > "ding" Gnus only displays one of them and no matter what I do I can't get
> > it to display them all.
>
> That's odd.  What's your `nnmail-treat-duplicates' variable?

warn

> > If I use "G f" to access a mail spool file copied to my machine all of the
> > messages are not displayed.
>
> Only one copy of messages with the same Message-ID will be displayed.

But when I respool only one copy is respooled and I can never see both
copies.

Eze.

* Re: Problem with Gnus and duplicate messages.
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-12  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> > > When I get duplicate messages like announcements from "ding-announce" and
> > > "ding" Gnus only displays one of them and no matter what I do I can't get
> > > it to display them all.
> >
> > That's odd.  What's your `nnmail-treat-duplicates' variable?
>
> warn

So's mine, but I haven't had Gnus misbehave at all in this area for a
long time.  You do do (be do do) your mail splitting with Gnus?

> > Only one copy of messages with the same Message-ID will be displayed.
>
> But when I respool only one copy is respooled and I can never see both
> copies.

Yes.

@ 1997-02-13  1:11       ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-13  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> > > That's odd.  What's your `nnmail-treat-duplicates' variable?
> >
> > warn
>
> So's mine, but I haven't had Gnus misbehave at all in this area for a
> long time.  You do do (be do do) your mail splitting with Gnus?

Yes, I use Gnus to split my mail when I get it home.

The problem is this:

I copy the file from /usr/spool/mail/ to my home directory and take it
home.

At home I use nndoc to open the file, "M P b" to mark the messages and
"B r" to re-spool with nnml as the backend.

Not all the messages are re-spooled.

I have just started to use SOUP. What I am doing is to read the file
from /usr/spool/mail with nndoc.

When I use "G s b" to brew soup not all the articles are taken. The
duplicates are left.

> > > Only one copy of messages with the same Message-ID will be displayed.
> >
> > But when I re-spool only one copy is re-spooled and I can never see both
> > copies.
>
> Yes.

I have had to re-spool mail groups to do change the way messages are
filed and also to "pack" groups. As Gnus doesn't show all the messages
in a group, how can I select them all so that they can be re-spooled?

I have had cases where Gnus has re-spooled a incomplete file from an
exmh folder and left the complete version of this message behind. It
then refused to "see" or move this message. I only knew it was there
because I used exmh to check.

If Gnus will not "see" duplicate messages then surely everyone who
moves or re-spools messages is loosing mail.

--

@ 1997-02-14  9:31         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-14  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> When I use "G s b" to brew soup not all the articles are taken. The
> duplicates are left.

Yes, that's natural.  nndoc doesn't do any Message-ID accouning, so if
there are several messages with the same Message-ID, only the first
will be displayed.

> If Gnus will not "see" duplicate messages then surely everyone who
> moves or re-spools messages is loosing mail.

Well, perhaps nndoc should take more care.  I've now added this to the
todo list.

@ 1997-02-14 15:23           ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-14 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Eze Ogwuma

On 14 Feb 1997, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > When I use "G s b" to brew soup not all the articles are taken. The
> > duplicates are left.
>
> Yes, that's natural.  nndoc doesn't do any Message-ID accouning, so if
> there are several messages with the same Message-ID, only the first
> will be displayed.
>
> > If Gnus will not "see" duplicate messages then surely everyone who
> > moves or re-spools messages is loosing mail.
>
> Well, perhaps nndoc should take more care.  I've now added this to the
> todo list.

Will this apply to all backends?

Eze.