From: Matt Armstrong <matt_armstrong@bigfoot.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Groups which have new mails
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 13:35:24 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On 19 Apr 1999, Danny Siu wrote:

> That is exactly what I do.  Why not?  I can't find better way of keeping the
> articles I need to re-visit or reply.  I know about the read marks and tick
> mark.  I use tick marks for articles I want to keep in the group till hell
> freezes.  I don't use read marks at all because 'C-u SPC' (to see all
> articles) on a group with many articles is VERY slow (at least for nnfolder
> anyways.  see <yj9u2uzu83y.fsf@adobe.com>).  I explicitly bind 'd' to
> gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable for article deletion.  All unread articles
> are the one I need to re-visit or reply.  Also, movement commands doesn't
> work well on read articles ('n'/'p' moves between unread articles only).
>
> I think you are right in <glmlngbwzji.fsf@caffeine.mitre.org>; I haven't
> fully adjusted to the Gnus Way of reading mail after 4 years of using it.
>
> I wonder how people use marks on mail groups for the purpose of keeping
> articles and indicating an need-to-be-late article.

If I want to save a message for a long time, I move it to a different
group.  I have a whole slew of save.* groups.

If I want to mark a message as a "must keep and do something with it soon"
then I tick it with !.  Periodically, I move my ticked articles into
save.* groups or reply to them or whatever.  Having ticked articles in a
group is annoying because Gnus shows the groups to you whether you
have new mail in them or not.  This is good incentive for me to keep them
to a minimum.

Articles without a read mark are really "new" -- I've never read them.

With this scheme, Gnus just shows me relevant things -- new mail or stuff
I should act on "soon."

I've played around with caching articles in groups, but it is too
implicit.  I always forget I have cached articles since I have to
remember to do "/ *" to see them.  I also have this lingering fear that
they will go away.  The save.* group thing works out better for me.

Come to think of it, I think it'd be nice if Gnus had a setting where it
would show by default only groups with unread articles (ticked articles
alone wouldn't be enough to have it show up).  Maybe it already does...