* nnchoke-request-update-mark
@ 2001-09-05 21:49 Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-09-05 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why does nnchoke-request-update-mark's interface use mark letters
instead of symbols?  Is there an easy way to translate between them?

paul

* Re: nnchoke-request-update-mark
@ 2001-09-06 12:57 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-09-06 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Why does nnchoke-request-update-mark's interface use mark letters
> instead of symbols?  Is there an easy way to translate between them?

I think there is an alist somewhere.  [time passes]  Ah, no, I was
thinking of gnus-article-mark-lists.  Not so easy after all.

kai
--
Symbol's function definition is void: signature

* Re: nnchoke-request-update-mark
@ 2001-09-06 22:19 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2001-09-06 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Paul Jarc wrote:

> Why does nnchoke-request-update-mark's interface use mark letters
> instead of symbols?  Is there an easy way to translate between them?

I dunno.

But, be sure to check that `nnchoke-request-update-mark' really does,
chances are you don't want to use it.  The name doesn't really tell all
there is to it, and the documentation is lacking somewhat as well.  It is
mostly for interactively changing how Gnus applies marks, it is not
meant as a way to request a mark to be updated in the backend.
(*-request-set-mark was added for that)  At least that was my
interpretation when I considered it for updating flags on IMAP servers.
If you ask because of similar reasons I considered it for nnimap, think
about it again..  otherwise; don't think about it again. :)

* Re: nnchoke-request-update-mark
@ 2001-09-08  5:31   ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-09-08  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> wrote:
> But, be sure to check that `nnchoke-request-update-mark' really does,
> chances are you don't want to use it.

I was going to have a per-group configurable list of prohibited marks;
these would be screened out with -request-update-mark.  The particular
use I had in mind was protecting myself from accidentally marking
articles as expirable in certain groups; for this use, it wouldn't be
sufficient to just skip storing the marks.

If this were to be done, it ought to go in Gnus proper, not backends,
but I was going to do it as a proof-of-concept sort of thing, like
nnmaildir's always-marks and never-marks.

paul