From: Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>
Cc: <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: Sieve support?
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:39:05 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Ah, yes, I think I used to have your style, too.  But then somewhere
> I read about problems with nesting depths.  So I converted your
> if/elseif style into mine.

Hm, using a large if/elsif-block shouldn't count as nesting?  Or maybe the
implementation just rewrites the elseif into a else + if.  Hm, RFC 3028
says implementations should support 15 levels of nesting, and I got one or
two magnitude more rules than that, so I think it's ok.

> To learn more, I'd have to know more about how your idea constructs
> the whole Sieve script -- where are the group specific rules inserted
> and what happens when the user changes group rules and how is the
> other part of the script preserved...
>
> I can't test your sieve mechanism because I'm using an old Cyrus
> version which uses an old sieve protocol.
>
> Though of course I could test your rule-generating part.  Hm.  But
> I've already got so many useful rules :-)

No problemo -- just D g and then insert your current Sieve script
before/after the Gnus generated block.  Then you can migrate some of the
rules into group parameters incrementally.

Maybe the old Cyrus protocol is "close" enough to the current protocol.
I'll look in the archives to see how your server reacted, maybe only the
greeting is different..

Or use `D u' which doesn't use the sieve protocol, but rather the
installsieve program that comes with Cyrus IMAPD to talk to the server.
This parts need some more documentation though, you probably need to frob
`gnus-sieve-method'. (Perhaps the `gnus-sieve-method' variable should be
removed, maybe this should be solved differently -- e.g. D g / D u asking
the user which method to generate the rules on, or add the commands to
the server buffer where the method to use is implicit.)