From: "Joseph D. Barillari" <jbarilla@Princeton.EDU>
Subject: IMAP won't connect using Cygwin's OpenSSL on Win2K
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:45:29 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

Hi,

I'm in a corporate world this summer, where people use weird OSes like
Windows 2000. After using Netscape Mail for a week, I realized why I
switched to clients like Gnus in the first place, and tried to get Gnus
running. For the record, I'm using Gnus 5.9.0 on GNU Emacs 21.2.1 for
Windows (both precompiled by GNU).

The following .gnus stanza opens the connection. The dotfile generator at
my.gnus.org set up the basic .gnus file.

; These are your IMAP settings
 (setq gnus-select-method
        '(nnimap "nslocum"
	(nnimap-list-pattern "*/imap/*")
                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
))

IMAP works fine over an insecure line (if I comment out
nnimap-server-port and nnimap-stream), but it doesn't work with SSL, hence
these excerpts from *Messages*:

imap: Connecting to nslocum...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect
%s:%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `openssl s_client -ssl2 -connect
%s:%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `s_client -ssl3 -connect %s:%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `s_client -ssl2 -connect %s:%p'...
imap: Opening SSL connection with `nil'...failed
imap: Connecting to nslocum...failed

I have the Cygwin OpenSSL installed, and the Cygwin binaries added to the
PATH, such that I can type at the command prompt:

Z:\>openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect nslocum:993
<snip excess OpenSSL verbiage>
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN]...etc.

...and get an IMAP prompt.

This means that OpenSSL is functioning, but I must not have set up the
gnus/emacs OpenSSL interface properly. Is there any way of getting more
verbose *Messages* so I can diagnose the problem?

Thanks,

Joe Barillari