* NFS/Emacs bug
@ 1996-06-03 19:53 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-06-03 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

When using `directory-files' on large directories (5000+ files) the
answer is sometimes truncated, like this:

	(length (directory-files "~/Mail/ding/list"))
	==> 2287
	(length (directory-files "~/Mail/ding/list"))
	==> 5460

This has been reproduced with Linux and Solaris as NFS clients and
with SGI and Solaris as NFS servers.  It has also been reproduced with
Emacs 19.30, Emacs 19.31, and XEmacs 19.13.

The problem is noticeable when using the `nnml' backend for Gnus to
store large groups.

I cannot produce similar result from the shell, e.g. with:

	% ls -1 ~/Mail/ding/list | wc -w
	5456

* Re: NFS/Emacs bug
@ 1996-06-04 11:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 1996-06-04 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: xemacs, bug-gnu-emacs, ding

On 3 Jun 1996, Per Abrahamsen wrote:

> When using `directory-files' on large directories (5000+ files) the
> answer is sometimes truncated, like this:
>
> 	(length (directory-files "~/Mail/ding/list"))
> 	==> 2287
> 	(length (directory-files "~/Mail/ding/list"))
> 	==> 5460
>
> This has been reproduced with Linux and Solaris as NFS clients and
> with SGI and Solaris as NFS servers.  It has also been reproduced with
> Emacs 19.30, Emacs 19.31, and XEmacs 19.13.

`directory-files' (on dired.c) tests the directory entries returned by
`readdir' to be non-empty, by using the `DIRENTRY_NONEMPTY' macro.  That
macro looks at the inode returned in dp->d_ino, and if it's zero, the
entry is considered empty.  I suggest stepping through the loop that
calls `readdir' with a debugger to see whether maybe under that specific
combination of NFS servers and clients, the inode is sometimes reported
as 0 when it shouldn't have been.