* novice with gnus
@ 1999-07-16 18:14 Rémi FACKEURE
From: Rémi FACKEURE @ 1999-07-16 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

        HEllo !

First i would like to congratulate you for the job done with gnus, it
looks very powerful... today, one of the aims i've got in my life is to
configure and run gnus everyday :) really !

Here we are.

I've got a RedHat 6.0. I got emacs with it, and with this emacs-20.3 i
got gnus.

It's gnus 5.5 nntp 5.0

This could suit me well but i've to say that i'd like to use the
gnus-agentize stuff because it would perfectly suits my needs.

I also have Xemacs. Just hot compiled, no packages with it.

The fact is that i merely would like to use gnus with XEMACS so that i
could read mail and news via gnus-agent.

In the past (2 days ago) i succeed in reading both news and mail with 5.5
but it wasn't exactly what i wanted, especially about news. I got a
config with procmail and so on. I printed the manual, and looked at some
pages, i was really happy seeing the agentize stuff... but quick
disapointed.

Then i go download the pgnus-0.95.tar.gz file which looked really neat
and new :)

But here i'm stopped. I tried variousthings without any success... really
a lot of things. Now i just would like to begin again from scratch
without messing up all my emacs-xemacs-gnus- and infos files...

During my "tests" i also saw that finding mail has changed, it didn't
succeed in reading my mail although i put this in my (old).gnus file the
right stuff i think about using nnml and the directory methos... but well
i look for that later.

Here i want to be able to launch the Pgnus under XEmacs 21.1, then
reading mail and finally using gnus-agentize. Is there a kind enough
people here to help through this steps ?

NB i wasn't able to compile pgnus for xemacs using make EMACS=xemacs, no
way, it "crashes" and gives a lot of errors. The configure --help
indicates nothing...

thank you a lot in advance... now it's about a week i'm reading the
manual finally figuring out that it wasn't my gnus's version manual... so
i'm very lost right now.....

Later,

--
Rémi FACKEURE aka ref
Don't pay the bill ! Use GNU Linux.

* Re: novice with gnus
@ 1999-07-16 21:10 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-16 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Novice users shouldn't use the development version of Gnus unless
there is a compelling reason.  Since you wish to have Agent support,
and since Agent support is already in Gnus 5.6, I suggest that you get
Gnus 5.6 instead.

Be prepared to put on your asbestos longjohns when using Pterodactyl
Gnus (pgnus) :-)

Possibly, you don't have the current directory (".") in your PATH, so
you need to say "./configure --help" rather than just "configure
--help" to get help.

For me, it is sufficient to say "./configure
--prefix=/usr/sw/emacs-20.3" where /usr/sw/emacs-20.3 is where I
installed Emacs.  After this, "make" and "make install" will do the
right thing.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* novice with gnus
@ 1999-07-17 12:21 Rémi FACKEURE
From: Rémi FACKEURE @ 1999-07-17 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

        HEllo !

First i would like to congratulate you for the job done with gnus, it
looks very powerful... today, one of the aims i've got in my life is to
configure and run gnus everyday :) really !

Here we are.

I've got a RedHat 6.0. I got emacs with it, and with this emacs-20.3 i
got gnus.

It's gnus 5.5 nntp 5.0

This could suit me well but i've to say that i'd like to use the
gnus-agentize stuff because it would perfectly suits my needs.

I also have Xemacs. Just hot compiled, no packages with it. So i download
the gnus-pacakge separetely. But right now i can't use the automatic
installin pacakge feature of xemacs 21.1 it doesn't work, i did i
manually, now doing M-x gnus gives something but it says mail-utils not
found or something like that, i'm currently searching...

The fact is that i merely would like to use gnus with XEMACS so that i
could read mail and news via gnus-agent.

-------

In the past (3 days ago) i succeed in reading both news and mail with 5.5