* large attachments
@ 2002-02-19 21:00 Frank Tegtmeyer
From: Frank Tegtmeyer @ 2002-02-19 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

is there a way to use "munpack" or something similar to do base64
decoding?
Today I got a 40MB file by mail and Emacs used more than 500MB RAM to
unpack (until I killed it). munpack used only it's work buffer and did
unpack in less than two seconds.

I'm not sure why Gnus (v.5.8.7 on Xemacs 21.1 patch 14) uses so much
memory even if the file is loaded twice during unpacking. I cannot
imagine a reason for such behaviour.

Regards, Frank

* Re: large attachments
@ 2002-02-20 12:35 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-20 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Tegtmeyer <fte@lightwerk.com> writes:

> is there a way to use "munpack" or something similar to do base64
> decoding?

This depends.  If your Emacs has base64 support compiled in, in C
code, then I think there is no way to change that.

But if base64 is not in C, then see the file base64.el.  It allows
you to define encoding/decoding commands.

> I'm not sure why Gnus (v.5.8.7 on Xemacs 21.1 patch 14) uses so much
> memory even if the file is loaded twice during unpacking. I cannot
> imagine a reason for such behaviour.

Maybe the unpacking was done in Lisp?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-20 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-02-20 14:07   ` Frank Tegtmeyer
From: Frank Tegtmeyer @ 2002-02-20 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe the unpacking was done in Lisp?