* Re: sending mail through a specific server?
@ 2002-02-22 18:07 ` Nicolas Kowalski
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-02-22 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> A local sysadmin has told me:
>
> > Set gnus to send through mail.wolfram.com and receive through
> > pop.wolfram.com.

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.wolfram.com"
      smtpmail-local-domain "wolfram.com"
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

should do the trick.

Nicolas.

From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2002-02-22 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> A local sysadmin has told me:
>
> > Set gnus to send through mail.wolfram.com and receive through
> > pop.wolfram.com.

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.wolfram.com"
      smtpmail-local-domain "wolfram.com"
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

should do the trick.

Nicolas.

* sending mail through a specific server?
@ 2002-02-22 18:15 Bill White
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Bill White @ 2002-02-22 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

A local sysadmin has told me:

> Set gnus to send through mail.wolfram.com and receive through
> pop.wolfram.com.

The pop.wolfram.com part is easy:

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "pop.wolfram.com"
	     :user "billw"
	     :dontexpunge nil)))

How do I set up gnus to send mail through mail.wolfram.com?  A grep
through the manual didn't help (surely my fault, not the manual's).

My gnus-post-method is "current".

Some background: mail from gnus to local usernames and aliases bounces
back with "unknown user" or some such error.  Instead, I have to send
to <username>@wolfram.com or <alias>@wolfram.com, which is a hassle.
Granted, there are some places where "hassles" are much bigger, but,
well,

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: sending mail through a specific server?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-22 18:24 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 2002-02-22 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think the default for message-send-mail-function is
message-send-mail-with-sendmail in which case you'd need to have your
sendmail configuration relay through mail.wolfram.com.  An easier
choice might be to use smtpmail.el.  Something like this should be all
you need

(setq message-send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.wolfram.com"
      smtpmail-local-domain "wolfram.com"
      smtpmail-debug-info t)

The first two may be all you need.  The local-domain setting was in an
example I found somewhere so I put it in.  Setting debug-info to t
gives you a trace of the SMTP session which I unfortunately find
useful often enough to leave it on full time.
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

From: David S. Goldberg @ 2002-02-22 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-02-25 15:40   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-02-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri Feb 22 2002 at 12:24, david.goldberg6@verizon.net (David S. Goldberg) said:

> (setq message-send-mail-function smtpmail-send-it
>       smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.wolfram.com"
>       smtpmail-local-domain "wolfram.com"
>       smtpmail-debug-info t)

Thanks guys!  I was able to put these together with
emacs/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el.  Now I just need to get used to the extra
smtp messages flashing by in my minibuffer :-)

Cheers -

bw

From: Bill White @ 2002-02-25 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Bill White @ 2002-02-22 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)