I got the patch working and tested it today. It worked fine for me. It does something only when message-hierarchical-lists is defined, on replying to a message. Thanks again to Paul and Kai. I am attaching the patch again; it worked against this morning's CVS Gnus. It being the first patch I've done for Gnus, I don't know if it should go to the list or to someone in particular. Paul Jarc wrote: > Ted Zlatanov wrote: >> Also, the message-hierarchical-lists should probably be generalized to >> regular expressions for both the primary and secondary lists >> (message-hierarchical-lists-regexps?). I don't need this personally, >> but perhaps someone else will find it useful. > > That would complicate the code; the two uses of assoc would have to be > replaced by explicit iteration and regexp comparison. We could wait > for someone to ask for it, if it really is ever useful. You're right, no one has been clamoring for this feature as it is. Thanks Ted