* Debugging POP3
@ 2002-02-22 18:24 Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-02-22 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a problem with my POP3-server (it goes stuck in the end of the
session). Gnus is probably nothing to do with that, but I am trying to find
out what's going on. Session log might help:

+OK mPOP POP3 server ready <88089.1014401817@mail.ru>^M
+OK Password required for user dbely^M
+OK dbely@mail.ru maildrop has 13 messages (45558 octets)^M
+OK 13 messages (45558 octets)^M
1 3018
2 4483
3 2569
[...]
+OK message 3 deleted^M
+OK message 2 deleted^M
+OK message 1 deleted^M
[goes stuck here]

but it contains only _responses_ from pop3 server, not commands issued by
gnus. So the question: Is it possible to see both commands and responses in
the session log?

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry

* Re: Debugging POP3
@ 2002-02-23 11:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-23 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Dmitry Bely <dbely@mail.ru> writes:

> [goes stuck here]

My suggestion about finding out what goes on is this: before you do
whatever makes Emacs hang, do M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET.  Then do
whatever makes Emacs hang.  Wait until Emacs hangs.  Hit C-g.  Look
at the backtrace.  Hit c to continue.  Wait a bit.  Hit C-g again.
Repeat several times until you get a feeling for what's going on.

Does that help?

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-23 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-02-24 16:48   ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-02-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> > [goes stuck here]
>
> My suggestion about finding out what goes on is this: before you do
> whatever makes Emacs hang, do M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET.  Then do
> whatever makes Emacs hang.  Wait until Emacs hangs.  Hit C-g.  Look
> at the backtrace.  Hit c to continue.  Wait a bit.  Hit C-g again.
> Repeat several times until you get a feeling for what's going on.
>
> Does that help?

Yes, I know that. As I already told you, the problem almost certainly is
with my provider's POP3 server, not with gnus. But to prove that I need to
show full "sent commands+server responses" log to their admin, not only
server responses that are present in gnus' "trace of POP session" by
default. Is it possible to get such log without rewriting the lisp code?

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry

* Re: Debugging POP3
@ 2002-02-24 16:48   ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-02-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-02-24 17:54     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Dmitry Bely <dbely@mail.ru> writes:

> Yes, I know that. As I already told you, the problem almost certainly is
> with my provider's POP3 server, not with gnus. But to prove that I need to
> show full "sent commands+server responses" log to their admin, not only
> server responses that are present in gnus' "trace of POP session" by
> default. Is it possible to get such log without rewriting the lisp code?

Ayee.  I see.  I'm afraid that you do have to rewrite the Lisp code.
Does the log have to have the commands and the responses in the right
order?  You could do a quick hack with pop3-send-command which just
invokes `message' on the command.  Then you can pick the commands off
of the *Messages* buffer.

But you'd need to get the sequences right.

kai

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-02-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-02-26  9:34       ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-02-26  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Groъjohann) writes:

> > Yes, I know that. As I already told you, the problem almost certainly is
> > with my provider's POP3 server, not with gnus. But to prove that I need to
> > show full "sent commands+server responses" log to their admin, not only
> > server responses that are present in gnus' "trace of POP session" by
> > default. Is it possible to get such log without rewriting the lisp code?
>
> Ayee.  I see.  I'm afraid that you do have to rewrite the Lisp code.
> Does the log have to have the commands and the responses in the right
> order?  You could do a quick hack with pop3-send-command which just
> invokes `message' on the command.  Then you can pick the commands off
> of the *Messages* buffer.
>
> But you'd need to get the sequences right.

They have already fixed the problem with POP3-server without me. But I
still think the tracing code in gnus should be corrected. An exapmle is VM
which does it right. Maybe I will modify gnus tracing some day...

Hope to hear from you soon,
Dmitry

* Re: Debugging POP3
@ 2002-02-26  9:34       ` Dmitry Bely