From: Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net>
Subject: The two Servers
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:24:30 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello

I'm at the moment in the bad situation of reading news at university
from their nntp server and at home from my local newsserver. This is a
pain because the articles I read at university are unread at home and
vice versa.

Therefor I want a solution which solves this. That means articles
numbers are evil, Message-IDs are good. I thought of two solutions:

Either create a second .newsrc file (for example ~/newsrc.id) and when
an entry in ~/.newsrc is made an entry in ~/.newsrc.id is created which
says which Message-ID belongs to this article number.
When getting the overview one had to parse it for already known
Message-IDs.
This solution is probably much and hard work.

Second idea I had is this one: define something like gnus-get-ids which
gets the Message-IDs for all read articles and gnus-read-ids which gets
a list of Message-IDs, retrieves the article numbers of the corresponding
articles and writes those in ~/.newsrc.
This seems to be not to hard.

I searched the documentation and found that gnus-move.el does something
very similar but there is one thing I really don't understand: Why the
hell does it retrieve the whole head of the article? Wouldn't it be *much*
faster to use the stat command?

Anybody out there who has done something similar before or has an other
idea how to do it?

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them