* Include ucs-tables.el?
@ 2002-03-06 17:02 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus users on German newsgroups keep whining that Emacs produces
multipart messages -- since this year, a lot more people are starting
to use Latin-9 and so people are wont to get a mixture of Latin-1 and
Latin-9 in their messages.

What do you think about taking ucs-tables.el from the Emacs CVS and
including it in the Gnus contrib directory, with a hint somewhere
that points to it?

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: Include ucs-tables.el?
@ 2002-03-06 17:18 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-03-06 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Gnus users on German newsgroups keep whining that Emacs produces
> multipart messages -- since this year, a lot more people are starting
> to use Latin-9 and so people are wont to get a mixture of Latin-1 and
> Latin-9 in their messages.
>
> What do you think about taking ucs-tables.el from the Emacs CVS and
> including it in the Gnus contrib directory, with a hint somewhere
> that points to it?

Added.

ShengHuo

* Re: Include ucs-tables.el?
@ 2002-03-06 17:18 ` ShengHuo ZHU
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-03-06 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Gnus users on German newsgroups keep whining that Emacs produces
> multipart messages -- since this year, a lot more people are starting
> to use Latin-9 and so people are wont to get a mixture of Latin-1 and
> Latin-9 in their messages.
>
> What do you think about taking ucs-tables.el from the Emacs CVS and
> including it in the Gnus contrib directory, with a hint somewhere
> that points to it?

Added.

ShengHuo

* Re: Include ucs-tables.el?
@ 2002-03-07 10:14   ` Kai Großjohann
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-07 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> What do you think about taking ucs-tables.el from the Emacs CVS and
>> including it in the Gnus contrib directory, with a hint somewhere
>> that points to it?
>
> Added.

Great!

kai

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-07 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> What do you think about taking ucs-tables.el from the Emacs CVS and
>> including it in the Gnus contrib directory, with a hint somewhere
>> that points to it?
>
> Added.

Great!

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: Include ucs-tables.el?
@ 2002-03-08 15:22   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2002-03-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Gnus users on German newsgroups keep whining that Emacs produces
>> multipart messages -- since this year, a lot more people are starting
>> to use Latin-9 and so people are wont to get a mixture of Latin-1 and
>> Latin-9 in their messages.
>>
>> What do you think about taking ucs-tables.el from the Emacs CVS and
>> including it in the Gnus contrib directory, with a hint somewhere
>> that points to it?
>
> Added.

For those of us who haven't followed discussions about ucs-tables.el,
can someone give a quick summary of how it's used in Gnus, and what
benefits it provides?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Include ucs-tables.el?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-08 15:22   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2002-03-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-08 15:54     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-03-08 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 08 2002, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> For those of us who haven't followed discussions about ucs-tables.el,
> can someone give a quick summary of how it's used in Gnus,

(require 'ucs-tables)
(unify-8859-on-encoding-mode 1)
(unify-8859-on-decoding-mode 1)

> and what benefits it provides?

AFAIK (please correct me if it's wrong), it unifies iso-8859-*
charset's if possible. E.g. if I want to reply to a iso-8859-15
posting (quoting an EURO-symbol) and insert iso-8859-1-`Umlaut'
characters (like äöü), Gnus would produce utf-8 or a multi-part
posting.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Include ucs-tables.el?
@ 2002-03-08 15:54     ` Reiner Steib
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-03-08 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-08 20:45       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-03-08 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

>> and what benefits it provides?
>
> AFAIK (please correct me if it's wrong), it unifies iso-8859-*
> charset's if possible. E.g. if I want to reply to a iso-8859-15
> posting (quoting an EURO-symbol) and insert iso-8859-1-`Umlaut'
> characters (like äöü), Gnus would produce utf-8 or a multi-part
> posting.

As far as I know, Gnus generates multipart postings by default.  I
suspect that ucs-tables enables the unify-to-utf8 case.

From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-03-08 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-03-08 23:24       ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-03-08 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 08 Mar 2002, Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08 2002, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>
>> For those of us who haven't followed discussions about ucs-tables.el,
>> can someone give a quick summary of how it's used in Gnus,
>
> (require 'ucs-tables)
> (unify-8859-on-encoding-mode 1)
> (unify-8859-on-decoding-mode 1)

Does this function correctly under XEmacs both with and without
file-coding and with or without MULE?

Will it cope correctly with the soon-to-land Unicode internals of the
ben-mule branch of XEmacs, with more native support for non-MULE
internal encodings?

Does it cope with Emacs of those varieties?

Also, how does it interact with the Latin Unity package for XEmacs and
with the unity packages for Emacs21?

>> and what benefits it provides?
>
> AFAIK (please correct me if it's wrong), it unifies iso-8859-*
> charset's if possible.

Is this only within the scope of Gnus message buffers, Gnus message and
display buffers or universally?

        Daniel

--
I am for an art of teddy bears and guns and decapitated rabbits,
exploded umbrellas, raped beds, chairs with their brown bones broken,

* Re: Include ucs-tables.el?
@ 2002-03-08 23:24       ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-03-08 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-09 16:40         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-09 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> As far as I know, Gnus generates multipart postings by default.  I
> suspect that ucs-tables enables the unify-to-utf8 case.

No.  When you have a posting with a Latin-1 ä and a Latin-9 ä, then
Gnus might use Latin-1, Latin-9 or UTF-8 for sending.  (With
ucs-tables, that is.  Without, Gnus will generate a multipart
message.)

kai

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-09 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-03-09 16:41         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-09 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> Does this function correctly under XEmacs both with and without
> file-coding and with or without MULE?

It is only a file in the contrib directory.  XEmacs users don't have
to use it.

I guess for XEmacs users it is easier to install the Latin-Unity
package.

kai

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-09 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

@ 2002-03-10  3:13           ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-03-10  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 09 Mar 2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> Does this function correctly under XEmacs both with and without
>> file-coding and with or without MULE?
>
> It is only a file in the contrib directory.

Ah. That wasn't clear to me from the discussion at hand. I thought it
was going to be activated automatically, hence my concern.[1]

> XEmacs users don't have to use it.

*nod*
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Automatic data modification, even when it's well intended, worries me.

--
Here with a Newsgroup, where we talk of Quoste,
  A Cup of Coffee and a Slice of Toast;