From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Update to CVS breaks for me
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 21:05:45 -0800	[thread overview]

Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:

>  Karl> That looks like something hosed down your overviews.  Run M-x
>  Karl> nnml-generate-nov-databases-1 on the group in question.
>
> That asks me for a directory for that group that I had to create
> (other nnml-Groups seem to use ~/News/cache/nnml...) - but no change.
> I get these messages for nntp groups too, but only in CVS-Gnus.  Going
> back to 0.05 is fine.  For what it's worth, gnus-nov-is-evil is nil.

It wants to know where you want it to run.  The group in your output
was: nnml+private:mail.misc-2002

No nnml groups should be using  ~/News/cache/nnml...  I think
something is wrong there.  In fact nnml should probably be excluded
from being cacheable since it is already on disk.  With something like
(setq gnus-uncacheable-groups "^nnml")

But before changing any settings, I think you may need to remove
anything under ~/News/cache/nnml including the nnml.  And check any
active file you find there.  Possibly removing any nnml groups listed
in it. But before doing so please investigate what is there and make a
copy.

Another step might be to save .gnus to .gnus_orig and strip all
comments out of the one you are actually using until you get this
resolved.

I got lost after the first 100 lines or so.  But then I'm not lisp
literate either.

For what its worth, I compiled the most recent cvs a few hours ago and
don't see this problem.