* Split attachments
@ 2002-03-08 12:23 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-03-08 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I'm using Oort Gnus 0.06, daily snapshot.
  I sent today a tarball to another personal address and Gnus proposed to
  split it, which I accepted.
  I received the mail in two parts : the first one coded in base64 and
  the second one coded in quoted printable. The problem is that none of
  both could be decoded by any MUA.
  Is it Gnus standard behaviour or it is a bug? If not a bug, what is
  the way to tune this?

  Thanks.

  Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Split attachments
@ 2002-03-08 23:05     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-03-08 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:15:36AM -0500, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
>
>> It is not the behaviour Gnus is supposed to do.  But from your
>> description, I can not tell where the problem is.  Could you post the
>> headers of the messages?  It would be better to include a few lines of
>> the bodies too.
>
> In advance, sorry for the noise.

[...]

> To: jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com
> Subject: perso (2/2)
> From: jerome.marant@free.fr (=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me?= Marant)
> Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:38:19 +0100
> Sender: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me_Marant?= <jerome@marant.org>
>
> IyVatW2BHL1VVeIt5USms/QG0yiqxinohsUoxhl7otrhEDYWy8g0tsY5bWrLm1y11WRCCTefj=
> Wv1
> RjUp8BE7bS8KSJkKLCc5fbniohHq2yFqGG1PuV4s9MEz3CoEsTP2OmUcsVYawAK3KihRkfV/Y=
> zpN

Gnus never adds capital Quoted-Printable, so it is likely that some
MTA folds lines and adds the header.

According to RFC 2045, "the 76 character limit does not count the
trailing CRLF, but counts all other characters, including any equal
signs." So, the base64 text has 75 characters each lines should be
OK. But the MTA folds those lines. I think it is the problem.

ShengHuo

* Re: Split attachments
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-08 23:05     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-03-08 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-08 18:51     ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2002-03-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:15:36AM -0500, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
>
>> It is not the behaviour Gnus is supposed to do.  But from your
>> description, I can not tell where the problem is.  Could you post the
>> headers of the messages?  It would be better to include a few lines of
>> the bodies too.
>
> In advance, sorry for the noise.
>
> The first one :
>
> To: jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com
> Subject: perso (1/2)
> From: jerome.marant@free.fr (=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me?= Marant)
> Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:38:19 +0100
This means the mail was too big. Gnus was affraid that the mail server
refused it,  so, it asked you to  split, and did so,  because you said
yes.

> number=1; total=2
> Sender: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me_Marant?= <jerome@marant.org>

Here,  I suppose  you actually  forwarded a  mail, so,  these  are the
headers of the forwarded mail, not from yours.

> To: jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com
> Subject: perso
> From: jerome.marant@free.fr (=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me?= Marant)
> Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:38:19 +0100

The forwarded mail itself contained attachments.

> --=-=-=

The first attachment was in base64. Not the first part of mail.

> H4sIACFUiDwCA+w8aXcaSZL+Cm/+wXzJ1soLeKlScUhIsmeekCzZtHU9IY3tt29nlFQlkFJdrkOI
> /tC/fSIy64QCgaz29ts1M21BVWZkRGbcEVUTahvMM0M/UJqa1tRa2q62ozW3Dm8+9F+90EdraNpO

> The second one :
>
> To: jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com
> Subject: perso (2/2)
> From: jerome.marant@free.fr (=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me?= Marant)
> Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:38:19 +0100
So, this is effectively the second part of the message.

> number=2; total=2
> Sender: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me_Marant?= <jerome@marant.org>

This part  is in quoted  printable. Probably the first  part contained
only   the    attachment   in   base64,   so,    with   no   non-ascii
characters. That's why is didn't have to get special encoding.

This  one  also contains  the  end  of  your message,  with  non-ascii
characters, so, Gnus posted it in quoted printable.

> IyVatW2BHL1VVeIt5USms/QG0yiqxinohsUoxhl7otrhEDYWy8g0tsY5bWrLm1y11WRCCTefj=
> Wv1
> RjUp8BE7bS8KSJkKLCc5fbniohHq2yFqGG1PuV4s9MEz3CoEsTP2OmUcsVYawAK3KihRkfV/Y=
> zpN

> I hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,

I see no problem in these headers, but you might see clearer ... ?

C'est énervant, d'être Français et  de devoir mettre tous ces accents,
non ;-))

--
Matthieu

* Re: Split attachments
@ 2002-03-08 18:51     ` Matthieu Moy
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2002-03-08 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-08 16:30   ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2002-03-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I'm using Oort Gnus 0.06, daily snapshot.
>>   I sent today a tarball to another personal address and Gnus proposed to
>>   split it, which I accepted.
>>   I received the mail in two parts : the first one coded in base64 and
>>   the second one coded in quoted printable. The problem is that none of
>>   both could be decoded by any MUA.
>>   Is it Gnus standard behaviour or it is a bug? If not a bug, what is
>>   the way to tune this?
>
> It is not the behaviour Gnus is supposed to do.  But from your
> description, I can not tell where the problem is.  Could you post the
> headers of the messages?  It would be better to include a few lines of
> the bodies too.
>
> ShengHuo

This must be the same kind of problem as the one I had. See the thread
beginning by

<vpqr8ngfqbl.fsf@ubaye.imag.fr> (Problem with attachments.)

I had difficulties  to open the attachment, but  actually, I could, by
just pressing `b', and waiting for a *long* time ...

What I don't understand is why half quoted printable, and the other in
base64.

The simplest solution is not to split the message.

--
Matthieu

* Re: Split attachments
@ 2002-03-08 16:30   ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2002-03-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-08 15:34   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2002-03-08 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

To: jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com
Subject: perso (1/2)
From: jerome.marant@free.fr (=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me?= Marant)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:38:19 +0100
Sender: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me_Marant?= <jerome@marant.org>

To: jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com
Subject: perso
From: jerome.marant@free.fr (=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me?= Marant)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:38:19 +0100

--=-=-=

To: jerome.marant@fr.thalesgroup.com
Subject: perso (2/2)
From: jerome.marant@free.fr (=?iso-8859-1?q?J=E9r=F4me?= Marant)
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:38:19 +0100
Sender: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=E9r=F4me_Marant?= <jerome@marant.org>

IyVatW2BHL1VVeIt5USms/QG0yiqxinohsUoxhl7otrhEDYWy8g0tsY5bWrLm1y11WRCCTefj=
Wv1
RjUp8BE7bS8KSJkKLCc5fbniohHq2yFqGG1PuV4s9MEz3CoEsTP2OmUcsVYawAK3KihRkfV/Y=
zpN

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

--