* Why does Gnus load 2.5M to read one message?
@ 2002-03-08 23:00 Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-03-08 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Earlier today, I read a newsgroup with one message.

According to the message bar, nntp read over 2500k.

Why?

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 229 bytes --]

* Re: Why does Gnus load 2.5M to read one message?
@ 2002-03-09 16:37 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-09 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> Earlier today, I read a newsgroup with one message.
>
> According to the message bar, nntp read over 2500k.
>
> Why?

See the variable gnus-fetch-old-headers.  Was this it?

kai
--
Silence is foo!

From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-09 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-09 19:39   ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-03-09 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack> Earlier today, I read a newsgroup with one message.
Jack> According to the message bar, nntp read over 2500k.
Jack> Why?

Kai> See the variable gnus-fetch-old-headers.  Was this it?

This variable is set to 1000.  I'll try 'some and see how it goes.

It would be very very nice if Gnus could *cache* these things, though.

Kai> kai

Jack.
(whee.)

From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-03-09 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack> Earlier today, I read a newsgroup with one message.
Jack> According to the message bar, nntp read over 2500k.
Jack> Why?

Kai> See the variable gnus-fetch-old-headers.  Was this it?

This variable is set to 1000.  I'll try 'some and see how it goes.

It would be very very nice if Gnus could *cache* these things, though.

Kai> kai

Jack.
(whee.)
--

@ 2002-03-09 19:47     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-03-09 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jack> Earlier today, I read a newsgroup with one message.
> Jack> According to the message bar, nntp read over 2500k.
> Jack> Why?
>
> Kai> See the variable gnus-fetch-old-headers.  Was this it?
>
> This variable is set to 1000.  I'll try 'some and see how it goes.
>
> It would be very very nice if Gnus could *cache* these things, though.

Gnus 0.06 caches these things if Gnus Agent covers the server.

ShengHuo

       [not found]       ` <a6dshl$qtk$1@quimby.gnus.org>
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-03-09 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-03-09 20:45       ` Jack Twilley
       [not found]       ` <a6dshl$qtk$1@quimby.gnus.org>
From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-03-09 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

[... about old headers ...]

Jack> It would be very very nice if Gnus could *cache* these things,
Jack> though.

ZSH> Gnus 0.06 caches these things if Gnus Agent covers the server.

Any way to make that work for those of us who don't use the agent?

ZSH> ShengHuo

Jack.
--

@ 2002-03-09 22:05         ` Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-03-09 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

There may be an error in the status line kilobyte counter.

Either that or to read one article in this group took 13700+
kilobytes.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org

* Re: Why does Gnus load 2.5M to read one message?
@ 2002-03-11 15:53         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-03-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> writes:

> Any way to make that work for those of us who don't use the agent?

Well, you can just turn on the agent with no adverse effects -- I do
that.  You don't have to use the offline mode.

kai
--
Silence is foo!

* Re: Why does Gnus load 2.5M to read one message?
@ 2002-03-11 17:12           ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2002-03-11 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Well, you can just turn on the agent with no adverse effects -- I do
> that.  You don't have to use the offline mode.

Sounds like is should be on by default... Maybe even remove the option
of _not_ using the agent, to make the code simpler.

From: Jack Twilley @ 2002-03-08 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)