* Simplify inline forward headers
@ 2007-06-25  2:27 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-25  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dear Gnus developers,

I often have to inline forward messages to people who are not using
Gnus. However, almost all headers in the original messages are included
which make the emails look messy.

I wonder how to make inline forward only include headers in
gnus-visible-headers.

This can be seen as a feature request. Thunderbird is doing something
similar to this.

* Re: Simplify inline forward headers
@ 2007-06-25  4:36 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-25  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I often have to inline forward messages to people who are not using
> Gnus. However, almost all headers in the original messages are included
> which make the emails look messy.

> I wonder how to make inline forward only include headers in
> gnus-visible-headers.

`gnus-visible-headers' is unlikely to contain some headers which
are indispensable for forwarding MIME messages.  You can modify
the `message-forward-ignored-headers' variable instead.  I don't
have an idea of making it remove more headers by default.

* Re: Simplify inline forward headers
@ 2007-06-25  9:05   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-25  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

----- Katsumi Yamaoka (2007-06-25) wrote:-----

>> I often have to inline forward messages to people who are not using
>> Gnus. However, almost all headers in the original messages are
>> included which make the emails look messy.
>
>> I wonder how to make inline forward only include headers in
>> gnus-visible-headers.
>
> `gnus-visible-headers' is unlikely to contain some headers which are
> indispensable for forwarding MIME messages.

By `forwarding MIME messages' do you mean the non-inline alternatives of
`gnus-summary-mail-forward'?

We could use another variable (e.g. message-forward-kept-headers) to
contain headers that should be kept.

> You can modify the `message-forward-ignored-headers' variable instead.
> I don't have an idea of making it remove more headers by default.

I want to make something like this to work by modifying
`message-remove-ignored-headers':

  if message-forward-kept-headers is nil,
  `message-forward-ignored-headers' is used; otherwise,
  message-forward-ignored-headers is used.

Ideas?

* Re: Simplify inline forward headers
@ 2007-06-25  9:32     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-25  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

----- Leo (2007-06-25) wrote:-----

>   message-forward-ignored-headers is used.
    ^ I mean message-forward-kept-headers

* Re: Simplify inline forward headers
@ 2007-06-25 10:36     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-25 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> ----- Katsumi Yamaoka (2007-06-25) wrote:-----

>>> I often have to inline forward messages to people who are not using
>>> Gnus. However, almost all headers in the original messages are
>>> included which make the emails look messy.
>>
>>> I wonder how to make inline forward only include headers in
>>> gnus-visible-headers.
>>
>> `gnus-visible-headers' is unlikely to contain some headers which are
>> indispensable for forwarding MIME messages.

> By `forwarding MIME messages' do you mean the non-inline alternatives of
> `gnus-summary-mail-forward'?

I meant just inline, i.e., using MML.  But I might have
misunderstood; though I'm not quite sure of it, even if removing
all headers in the case where MML is used, it might cause no
problem if `message-remove-ignored-headers' is performed in the
present way.  Please note, Gnus doesn't use MML by default when
forwarding signed or encrypted messages.

> We could use another variable (e.g. message-forward-kept-headers) to
> contain headers that should be kept.

I don't want a new variable which is simply an inverse of an
existing variable.

>> You can modify the `message-forward-ignored-headers' variable instead.
>> I don't have an idea of making it remove more headers by default.

> I want to make something like this to work by modifying
> `message-remove-ignored-headers':

>   if message-forward-kept-headers is nil,
>   `message-forward-ignored-headers' is used; otherwise,
>    message-forward-kept-headers is used.

> Ideas?

I don't know what may become *the default values* that satisfy
many users.  Although I humbly think adding "^Received:" to the
default value of `message-forward-ignored-headers' might be a
good idea, I'm satisfied with deleting some headers manually. ;-)

* Re: Simplify inline forward headers
@ 2007-06-25 12:54       ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2007-06-25 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> I don't know what may become *the default values* that satisfy
> many users.  Although I humbly think adding "^Received:" to the
> default value of `message-forward-ignored-headers' might be a
> good idea,

Not really.  Think of users forwarding spam to abuse@... Yes, they do
exist.

> I'm satisfied with deleting some headers manually. ;-)

AOL.  I feel this gives me the level of control I want.

Bjørn
--
Your poor hygiene reminds me of a right wing death squad.

* Re: Simplify inline forward headers
@ 2007-06-25 23:47         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-25 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> Although I humbly think adding "^Received:" to the default value of
>> `message-forward-ignored-headers' might be a good idea,

> Not really.  Think of users forwarding spam to abuse@... Yes, they do
> exist.

I see.  So, it might be sufficient that the default value for
`message-forward-ignored-headers' contains only headers that
Gnus might add.  In this viewpoint, "^Content-Transfer-Encoding:"
that is contained now may have to be simply deleted or be moved
to elsewhere.  IIUC, the situation where the CTE header should
be removed is only the case where a forwarding part uses MML.
In other words, removing it might break a message that has the
CTE header originally and is forwarded in the raw form.

@ 2007-06-26  7:03           ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-26  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> In other words, removing it might break a message that has the
> CTE header originally and is forwarded in the raw form.

Please ignore this sentence.  I overlooked that Gnus doesn't
remove any header from a forwarding part if it is in the raw
form.  So, that the `message-forward-ignored-headers' variable
has "^Content-Transfer-Encoding:" by default is not a problem.