* Re: Sorting in summary buffer is case sensitive
       [not found] <877ilpv8l1.fsf@gmx.de>
@ 2007-10-15  9:38 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-10-15  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Joachim; +Cc: ding, bugs

> Gnus v5.11
> GNU Emacs 22.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.13)
>  of 2007-10-13 on debian, modified by Debian
> 200 news.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.1 ready (posting ok).

> I just sorted a summary buffer by author, which did not give the
> expected results according to the documentation:

> ,----(describe-key "\C-c\C-s\C-a")
>| C-c C-s C-a runs the command gnus-summary-sort-by-author
>|   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum.el'.
>| It is bound to C-c C-s C-a, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <Sort> <Sort by author>.
>| (gnus-summary-sort-by-author &optional reverse)
>|
>| Sort the summary buffer by author name alphabetically.
>| If `case-fold-search' is non-nil, case of letters is ignored.
>| Argument reverse means reverse order.
> `----

> But despite case-fold-search being t, authors with capitalized names
> were listed before those with all lowercase names.

The cause is that gnus-summary-sort-by-(author|recipient|subject)
uses `string-lessp' which doesn't see `case-fold-search'.  I've
fixed it in Gnus CVS (trunk + v5-10 branch).

Since `case-fold-search' is a buffer-local variable, now people
who like the former behavior have to set `case-fold-search' to
nil in the summary buffer as follows:

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
	  (lambda nil
	    (setq case-fold-search nil)))

Regards,

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-10-15  9:38 UTC | newest]