;; I added Lars to Cc:. Does anyone know what is *exceedingly slow*? I'm using only nntp and nnml, moreover am always plugged, so it is hard to imagine what kind of back end slows Gnus down by synchronizing flags. >> 2005-09-20 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen >> * gnus-agent.el (gnus-agent-synchronize-flags): Switch the >> default to nil, to be able to use Gnus at all. If the default >> switches to something else, then the function should be fixed not >> be exceedingly slow. >> 2004-07-09 Simon Josefsson >> * gnus-agent.el (gnus-agent-synchronize-flags): Revert to ask. >> Users will lose all flag changes made while unplugged with >> e.g. nntp unless flag synchronization happens, thus `nil' is not a >> good default. See numerous reports on ding mailing list. > Katsumi Yamaoka writes: >> IMHO, we should set gnus-agent-synchronize-flags to t by default >> or synchronize at least nntp marks automatically when Gnus is >> re-plugged even if it takes time. I don't know how it is slow >> so far, though. >>>>> In Simon Josefsson wrote: > I agree. I have never found it that slow. It is not disk or network > bound. I read pretty large nntp groups offline, and syncing the flags > doesn't seem to take that long. I don't feel updating nntp marks is slow either. If only the back end which doesn't make it slow is nntp, I can make the following change: