From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Cc: bugs@gnus.org, ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Bug regarding reading sent-mail folder
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:51:46 +0900	[thread overview]

> What values should there be instead of `nil nil'?

The first one registers the range of article numbers you've
read, the second one registers an alist of marks and the ranges
of article numbers.  You can see what they should be at the
entries of groups you can read correctly.

>> (setq gnus-newsrc-alist '(...
>>       ("nnfolder+archive:all" 6 nil nil
>>        (nnfolder "archive"
>> 		 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)
>> 		 (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail-softace/sent-mail/")
>> 		 (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail-softace/sent-mail/active")))
>>       ...))

The value `nil nil' means you've never read articles and you've
never marked articles in that group, but it is syntactically
correct.  If you enter that group, you should be able to read
all articles as unread.  The real problem is that Gnus doesn't
open the group in question correctly.

> Coule I manually edit them? Whould it help?

The "nnfolder+archive:all" group entry in the gnus-newsrc-alist
variable saved in your .newsrc.eld file should be maintained by
Gnus.  I don't think it gets better even if you edit it manually.

I'm sorry that I cannot reproduce the same bad behavior.  If it
occurs on me, I'll investigate all the Gnus functions related to
this step by step using edebug for example.

(I personally will not use the mail directory which is not the
default or the methods which aren't popular since I don't
believe they have been fully tested, though.)