From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: rms@gnu.org
Cc: sTeeL <mail.list.steel.mental@gmail.com>, ding@gnus.org, handa@m17n.org
Subject: Re: [mail.list.steel.mental@gmail.com: chinese group names can not displayed properly in *Complation* buffer]
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 08:22:24 +0900	[thread overview]

> Handa thinks this has to do with how Gnus saves data in .newsrc.eld.
> Would you please investigate it and DTRT, then ack?

The non-ASCII group names handling of Gnus was much improved in
the Gnus CVS trunk[1], not in the v5-10 branch which is being
synchronized with Emacs CVS.  Why I did it is that some people
(almost Chinese) reported that Gnus doesn't work with such groups
perfectly and I confirmed it.  Because that's a major change, I
don't want to merge it into the v5-10 branch hastily.  So, people
who really need to subscribe to such newsgroups now have to use
the development version of Gnus (a.k.a., No Gnus v0.7)[2].

[1] http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/thread=64934/force_load=t
[2] http://gnus.org/distribution.html
    or ftp://ftp.gnus.org/pub/gnus/snapshots/

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.newsfan.net"))

I've verified that the most recent No Gnus works with just this
news server.  Please read carefully the new Info section:

(info "(gnus)Non-ASCII Group Names")

Regards,