* .el.gz, .info.gz
@ 2014-06-10  8:40 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-06-10  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've merged the recent changes from Emacs, and Gnus got to install
info files with the ".info" suffix now.  The old info files (i.e.,
gnus, message, emacs-mime, ...) will be deleted when you install
Gnus for the next time.

In addition to this, I'd like to gzip .el files and .info files in
the installation directory like Emacs does.  In the plan, the old
.el files will be deleted unconditionally.  And dividing a big info
file into numbered ones (e.g., gnus, gnus-1, gnus-2, ...) will be
unnecessary.

* Re: .el.gz, .info.gz
@ 2014-06-10 14:45 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2014-06-10 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> In addition to this, I'd like to gzip .el files and .info files in
> the installation directory like Emacs does.  In the plan, the old
> .el files will be deleted unconditionally.

I'm sure this is what you mean, but just to clarify: only the files that
also have a compiled .elc version will be compressed, right?

* Re: .el.gz, .info.gz
@ 2014-06-10 23:14   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-06-10 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 16:45:11 +0200, Romain Francoise wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> In addition to this, I'd like to gzip .el files and .info files in
>> the installation directory like Emacs does.  In the plan, the old
>> .el files will be deleted unconditionally.

> I'm sure this is what you mean, but just to clarify: only the files that
> also have a compiled .elc version will be compressed, right?

I never thought of it.  Thanks.  In Emacs' installation, there is
no .el.gz file that have no .elc file.  So, I'll leave such files
from gzipping.  Currently it is gnus-load.el only.
(I verified gzipped .el file doesn't disable Emacs from loading,
 though.)

* Re: .el.gz, .info.gz
@ 2014-06-11  8:54     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2014-06-11  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 08:14:21 +0900, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>>> In addition to this, I'd like to gzip .el files and .info files in
>>> the installation directory like Emacs does.  In the plan, the old
>>> .el files will be deleted unconditionally.

Done.