* Gnus freezes on startup
@ 2012-09-26 20:32 Johnny Carlsson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Johnny Carlsson @ 2012-09-26 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: styxsailor

Hi all,

Recently I have been unable to start gnus on my machine and am completely unable to debug why. This was around two weeks ago - incidentally I created a dual-boot windows partition for the first time in years, but however keen to blame this I don't see any obvious correlation...

Problem is as the heading - I start emacs successfully, then do M-x gnus. The nice logo shows up, but keeps me gazing at it while nothing seems to happen and I have to kill the process from the terminal.

I am running a customised F17 LXDE system with emacs 24.1.1 and used NoGnus (version unknown...). When the problem occured, I recalled seeing a "warning: package gg-gg is obsolete", so I removed my gnus and fetched the latest version from git. Attempting ./configure and make, this freezes just after building compface.el, so I just used the .el files. Gnus still froze on startup. So I removed all custom gnus to fallback to the distro version of gnus (5.13). Gnus still freezes on start. Believing the issue might be in some corrupted file, I removed all gnus customisation in the emacs init file and renamed ".gnus.el, newsrc.eld, News, and Mail" believing this should use defaults for everything. Still freezes. Final attempt using --no-server option, still freezing.

I have no idea where to start to get some traces or ideas how to fault find from here, and any ideas will be /very/ appreciated! As Gnus is my primary mail reader, and filter, there's no way to keep up with any mailing lists - please wide reply to my secondary e-mail as well...

It is possible I have botched my system in other ways by fiddling with Windows, virtualisation and what not, but everything else works fine.

Cheers,

Johnny

* Re: gnus-timer--function is void (was Re: Gnus freezes on startup)
@ 2013-01-31 22:04 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2013-01-31 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I work with Emacs 24.2.1 on Ubuntu 12.10 and wanted to use the latest version
of Gnus. I git-cloned to ~/.emacs.d (then ./configure, make) and ~/.emacs contains:

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/gnus/lisp") load-path))
(require 'gnus-load)
(require 'info)
(add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/.emacs.d/gnus/texi/")

On startup of Gnus, I obtain:

,----
| gnus-group-highlight-line: Symbol's function definition is void:
| gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces
`----

That's the backtrace (with M-x toggle-debug-on-error):

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces)
|   gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces(1 face)
|   gnus-group-highlight-line("dummy.group" 1 23)
|   gnus-group-insert-group-line("dummy.group" 0 nil 0 nil)
|   gnus-update-group-mark-positions()
|   gnus-group-mode()
|   gnus-group-setup-buffer()
|   gnus-group-list-groups(nil)
|   byte-code("\b\204
`----

I then have executed gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces by hand
(with C-x C-e). Afterwards, Gnus starts and I can also write mails. For testing
purposes, I sent myself a mail. When I wanted to open it, I obtained:

,----
| gnus-article-stop-animations: Symbol's function definition is void: gnus-timer--function
`----

... and this is how I found this post.

I then executed this auxiliary function:

(let ((name "gnus-util")
      (load-path (copy-sequence load-path))
      elc el files dir)
  (while (setq elc (locate-library name))
    (push elc files)
    (setq dir (file-name-directory elc))
    (when (setq el (locate-library (concat name ".el")))
      (unless (equal el elc)
	(push el files)))
    (setq load-path
	  (delete dir (delete (directory-file-name dir) load-path))))
  (nreverse files))

and obtained:

("/home/mhofert/.emacs.d/gnus/lisp/gnus-util.elc"
 "/home/mhofert/.emacs.d/gnus/lisp/gnus-util.el"
 "/usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/gnus/gnus-util.elc"
 "/usr/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/gnus/gnus-util.el.gz")

=> fine.

I also execute the following (with minimal ~/.gnus.el and ~/.emacs) as Katsumi:

emacs -batch -Q -l gnus-art -eval '(message "%s" (gnus-timer--function
(timer-create)))'

,----[ output (same as Katsumi's): ]
| Symbol's function definition is void: gnus-timer--function
`----

emacs -batch -Q -l gnus-art -eval '(push "~/.emacs.d/gnus/lisp"
load-path)' -l gnus-art -eval '(message "%s" (gnus-timer--function
(timer-create)))'

,----[ output (different from Katsumi's): ]
| Symbol's function definition is void: gnus-timer--function
`----

emacs -batch -Q -f batch-byte-compile '~/.emacs.d/gnus/lisp/gnus-util.el'

,----[ output (same as Katsumi's): ]
| Wrote /home/mhofert/.emacs.d/gnus/lisp/gnus-util.elc
`----

emacs -batch -Q -eval '(push "~/.emacs.d/gnus/lisp" load-path)' -l gnus-art
-eval '(message "%s" (gnus-timer--function (timer-create)))'

,----[ output (same as Katsumi's): ]
| nil
`----

I then also tried to use Emacs snapshot (also from ppa:cassou/emacs), but
obtained even more obscure behavior.

I'm not an elisp programmer, just wanted to report what I found. I hope an
expert looks into this. If you need more information, please give me detailed
instructions to minimize the risk of "informational loss on debugging".

Cheers,

Marius