From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: auto auto-expirable
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:28:05 +0900	[thread overview]

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

>> (defcustom gnus-inhibit-auto-auto-expiry nil
>>   "If non-nil, don't do auto auto-expiry when moving or copying articles.
>> `Auto auto-expiry' means that read articles, even if they haven't been
>> marked as expirable, will be automatically marked as expirable when
>> moved or copied to a group in which to perform auto-expiry."
>>   :version "23.2"
>>   :group 'gnus-summary
>>   :type 'boolean)

Thanks all for following up.  After all I've installed the following
user option and the code in the Gnus trunk.  This does not change
the present behavior by default.

(defcustom gnus-mark-copied-or-moved-articles-as-expirable nil
  "If non-nil, mark articles copied or moved to auto-expire group as expirable.
If nil, the expirable marks will be unchanged except that the marks
will be removed when copying or moving articles to a group that has
not turned auto-expire on.  If non-nil, articles that have been read
will be marked as expirable when being copied or moved to a group in
which auto-expire is turned on."
  :version "23.2"
  :type 'boolean
  :group 'gnus-summary-marks)

The relevant documents:

,---- GNUS-NEWS ----
`----

,---- (info "(gnus)Expiring Mail") ----
| [...]
|    The expirable marks of articles will be removed when copying or
| moving them to a group in which auto-expire is not turned on.  This is
| for preventing articles from being expired unintentionally.  On the
| other hand, to a group that has turned auto-expire on, the expirable
| marks of articles that are copied or moved will not be changed by
| default.  I.e., when copying or moving to such a group, articles that
| were expirable will be left expirable and ones that were not expirable
| will not be marked as expirable.  So, even though in auto-expire
| groups, some articles will never get expired (unless you read them
| again).  If you don't side with that behavior that unexpirable articles
| may be mixed into auto-expire groups, you can set
| `gnus-mark-copied-or-moved-articles-as-expirable' to a non-`nil' value.
| In that case, articles that have been read will be marked as expirable
| automatically when being copied or moved to a group that has
| auto-expire turned on.  The default value is `nil'.
`----

Regards,