* advising gnus-summary-resend-message, the clean way
@ 2011-11-07 21:53 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-11-07 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I want to use bbdb completion, even in the mini-buffer, so my first
idea[1] was, to advise gnus-summary-resend-message:

(defadvice gnus-summary-resend-message (around pm/resend-with-bbdb activate)
  "Resend message with bbdb address completion."
  (flet ((message-read-from-minibuffer (p &optional d)
                                       (bbdb-completing-read-mails p d)))
    ad-do-it))

But it does not work, I think it's because
`message-read-from-minibuffer' is called from the `interactive' form.

Redefining `message-read-from-minibuffer' works well:

(defun message-read-from-minibuffer (prompt &optional initial-contents)
  (bbdb-completing-read-mails prompt initial-contents))

But it does not seem clean to me: when there will be other usages of
message-read-from-minibuffer in future gnus versions, this redefinition
could break things.

For now, it works for me, but I would like to know, how it should be
done the clean way.

[1]: Eric Abrahamsen gave me some hints.

--
           Peter

* Re: advising gnus-summary-resend-message, the clean way
@ 2011-11-07 23:18 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2011-11-07 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Peter Münster wrote:
> I want to use bbdb completion, even in the mini-buffer, so my first
> idea[1] was, to advise gnus-summary-resend-message:

> (defadvice gnus-summary-resend-message (around pm/resend-with-bbdb activate)
>   "Resend message with bbdb address completion."
>   (flet ((message-read-from-minibuffer (p &optional d)
>                                        (bbdb-completing-read-mails p d)))
>     ad-do-it))

> But it does not work, I think it's because
> `message-read-from-minibuffer' is called from the `interactive' form.
[...]

In advice.el there are some examples to tweak the interactive form.
Maybe this is what you want:

(defadvice gnus-summary-resend-message (before pm/resend-with-bbdb activate)
  "Resend message with bbdb address completion."
  (interactive
   (list (bbdb-completing-read-mails
	  "Resend message(s) to: "
	  (when (and gnus-summary-resend-default-address
		     (gnus-buffer-live-p gnus-original-article-buffer))
	    (with-current-buffer gnus-original-article-buffer
	      (nnmail-fetch-field "to"))))
	 current-prefix-arg)))

This shows advised function definition w/o byte-compilation.

(let ((ad-default-compilation-action 'never))
  (defadvice gnus-summary-resend-message ...FORMS...)
  (pp (symbol-function 'gnus-summary-resend-message))
  nil)