From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Release of Gnus 5.10.10 / No Gnus 0.8
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 07:53:26 +0900	[thread overview]

> On Wed, Apr 09 2008, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
>> Both Gnus 5.10.10 and No Gnus 0.8 don't work with the most recent
>> Emacs trunk.

> It doesn't make any sense to run the _released_ No Gnus 0.8 with Emacs
> trunk.  Somebody who is willing to use (i.e. *test*) bleeding edge
> code of Emacs has to be prepared live with such breakage, go back to
> an older checkout or update again as soon as the bugs have been fixed.

> For the combination Emacs trunk plus Gnus 5.10.10, the only reasonable
> use-case would be that Gnus 5.13 is much more unstable that the rest
> of Emacs trunk.  I don't think this is true.

> Or does someone see other reasonable scenarios?

> In short: If you use Emacs trunk, you should use either the bundled
> Gnus 5.13 or Gnus trunk (when newer).

OK.  It might have been imaginary fears.  I felt anxious about
those who have faith in "[DSRQPON].+ Gnus" rather than Gnus and
give a priority to it in `load-path'.  Actually the problems
concerning the functionp change happened to such users.  But
just now they might have to learn the prefixed Gnusae is not
necessarily newer than the one in Emacs.

>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/94760

> ,----[ <news:b4m7if7pilg.fsf@jpl.org> ]
>| 1. Merge Stefan's changes:

[...]

> I hesitate to merge in these before the release as they might
> introduce other problems.

Agreed.

Anyway, thank you very much for your release jobs.

Regards,