* Problem viewing attachments
@ 2010-08-14 12:23 Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2010-08-14 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

When i try to view an attachment (using, e.g., K V) whose name contains
white spaces (no matter its mime type), the displaying function fails
silently (it seems to be calling the external program just fine, but
with a wrong or non-existent file to display).

Is anybody else suffering that problem? (I'm not aware of any
customization of mine related to that).

Debian sid
Emacs 24.0.50.1
Gnus v5.13

Thanks!
jao

* Re: Problem viewing attachments
@ 2010-08-14 22:23 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-08-14 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> When i try to view an attachment (using, e.g., K V) whose name contains
> white spaces (no matter its mime type), the displaying function fails
> silently (it seems to be calling the external program just fine, but
> with a wrong or non-existent file to display).

I'm going to fix it tomorrow (in Japan).  Thanks for pointing it out.

* Re: Problem viewing attachments
@ 2010-08-16  3:54   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-08-16  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:
> Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:
>> When i try to view an attachment (using, e.g., K V) whose name contains
>> white spaces (no matter its mime type), the displaying function fails
>> silently (it seems to be calling the external program just fine, but
>> with a wrong or non-existent file to display).

> I'm going to fix it tomorrow (in Japan).  Thanks for pointing it out.

Hmm, Gnus looks to use `shell-quote-argument' to quote special
characters in file names for all cases.  What kind of attachment
causes it?  And what external command is used then?

My best guess is that the command is a shell script which passes
a file name to another command without quoting the file name.
For instance:

#!/bin/sh
COMMAND $1

but it should be:

#!/bin/sh
COMMAND "$1"

In particular, the shell script named "xdg-open" is troublesome
for the use with Emacs no matter whether a name of file to play
contains SPCs or not.  Though it may not be your case.

* Re: Problem viewing attachments
@ 2010-08-16  6:16     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2010-08-16  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Katsumi Yamaoka writes:
> My best guess is that the command is a shell script which passes
> a file name to another command without quoting the file name.

Yes, it's usually best to simply get rid of the whitespaces in the first
place:

(add-to-list 'mm-file-name-rewrite-functions 'mm-file-name-replace-whitespace t)

-David