From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Mixing whitespace and topical changes
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:21:00 +0900	[thread overview]

>>>>> In <muxfy6zz6qi.fsf@uzeb.lrde.epita.fr> Didier Verna wrote:

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

>>>         Who's Lars ? ;-)
>>
>> I honor him as the founder of Gnus.

>         You're aware I was joking right ? :-)

Yes, I didn't believe you don't know him. ;-)

>> Good point. How do we urge all to do so ?

>         How many of us are there ? Is this such a big deal ?

> (require 'whitespace)
> (add-hook 'write-file-hooks #'(lambda () (whitespace-cleanup) nil))

Is it effective even if a person has set `indent-tabs-mode' to
nil?  I know there is at least one person who does it in the
developers.  In addition, doesn't `whitespace-auto-cleanup' have
to be set to t?  Moreover, we will probably need to confirm there
is no difference between the Emacs version of whitespace.el  and
the XEmacs version of whitespace.el.  Oh, we should pull
`texinfo-mode' out from `whitespace-modes', or use some way to
make texi files not have tabs.

I can accept them if those tools mostly work fine and maintainers
and developers, including Lars, agree.  Though, we might not be
able to include people who usually don't subscribe to this list.
(All the Emacs developers can modify Emacs' Gnus, of which changes
are merged into No Gnus.)

>> It doesn't seem to be easy to me to achieve it, similar to persuading
>> you not to use whitespace.el.

>         I might eventually give up, for instance when I start realizing
> that this conversation takes me more time than to actually change my
> setup :-) But you admit yourself that file cleanup is a good thing...

>> Otherwise, can it be realized using ``Local Variables''?

> Sure, everything's possible with eval: ...

I think it is the best way, since what have to do is only to say
"Please accept Local Variables anyway.".  BTW, does XEmacs work
with all cases?  AFAIK, the coding cookie in the Local Variables
section is ignored if a file is larger than 3000 bytes (see
code-files.el in XEmacs 21.4 or files.el in XEmacs 21.5).

Regards,