Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote: >> Yes, I think that should work, but I think using >> `fill-find-break-point-function-table' instead of "[^\000-\377]" and >> stuff will probably give you better results when mixing, say, Japanese >> and Russian. I see. It's much smarter. > I've now tweaked the filling algorithm slightly, and it seems to do the > right thing in the Han Han group (with Chinese text), but I haven't > tested it in any groups with mixed European/Japanese text. What's a > good test group? Try gwene groups of which the group names contain ".jp.". For instance: gwene.jp.gr.gentoo.gentoojp-news If you don't think very troublesome, I'd like to recommend nnshimbun.el. It makes html articles from contents obtained from web sites. You don't have to alter `mm-text-html-renderer'. My recommendation is: M-x gnus-group-make-shimbun-group RET asahi RET rss RET Cf. (info "(emacs-w3m)Gnus"), (info "(emacs-w3m)Nnshimbun") > Also, what font(s) should I install on Debian to get a display that has > the traditional kanji-are-twice-as-wide-as-non-kanji buffer? I believe there should be such fonts, if you've installed all the fonts Debian distributes. ;-) I use Fedora and have all the fonts installed. My favorites are: -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 -*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-jisx0208.1983-0 BTW, the present shr.el code deletes CJK characters that are at the end of lines, inserts useless SPC between wide characters, and doesn't seem to do kinsoku. So, I tried improving them. A patch follows. I think it is near completion. WDYT? Though I suspect there are wrong assignments for some Chinese characters in the kinsoku configuration. I'll ask Handa-san later.