* Reply misinterprets Commas in quoted encoded-words
@ 2009-11-13 20:30 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-11-13 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Hi,

I got the following report in the German Gnus newsgroup [1]: When
replying to a mail with this from header ...

| From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fghijkl,_Wolf-J=F6rg?=" <schnuerpel@example.com>

... you get the following:

| To: ""Fghijkl
| Cc: Wolf-Jörg"" <schnuerpel@example.com>

On reply Gnus seems to double the quotes.

I guess this might be a side effect of the fix for this problem:

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/59659/focus=59837
   Subject: Reply misinterprets Commas in encoded-words (Gnus violates RFC 2047)

,----[ ChangeLog ]
| 2005-02-19  Katsumi Yamaoka  <yamaoka@jpl.org>
|
| 	* gnus-msg.el (gnus-copy-article-buffer): Quote decoded words
| 	containing special characters.
|
| 	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-edit-article): Ditto.
|
| 	* mml.el (mime-to-mml): Ditto.
|
| 	* rfc2047.el (rfc2047-encode-parameter): Use ietf-drums-tspecials.
| 	(rfc2047-quote-decoded-words-containing-tspecials): New variable.
| 	(rfc2047-decode-region): Quote decoded words containing special
| 	characters when rfc2047-quote-decoded-words-containing-tspecials
| 	is non-nil.
`----

Bye, Reiner.

[1]
,----
`----
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Reply misinterprets Commas in quoted encoded-words
@ 2009-11-15 22:54 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2009-11-15 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hi,

> I got the following report in the German Gnus newsgroup [1]: When
> replying to a mail with this from header ...

>| From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fghijkl,_Wolf-J=F6rg?=" <schnuerpel@example.com>

> ... you get the following:

>| To: ""Fghijkl
>| Cc: Wolf-Jörg"" <schnuerpel@example.com>

> On reply Gnus seems to double the quotes.

Confirmed.  I'm going to make shift to fix this bug.  Thanks.

* Re: Reply misinterprets Commas in quoted encoded-words
@ 2009-11-17  2:23   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2009-11-17  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I got the following report in the German Gnus newsgroup [1]: When
>> replying to a mail with this from header ...

>>| From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fghijkl,_Wolf-J=F6rg?=" <schnuerpel@example.com>

>> ... you get the following:

>>| To: ""Fghijkl
>>| Cc: Wolf-Jörg"" <schnuerpel@example.com>

>> On reply Gnus seems to double the quotes.

> Confirmed.  I'm going to make shift to fix this bug.  Thanks.

Fixed in the Gnus trunk.  I've improved the rfc2047 code so as not
to quote decoded words containing special characters (`,' is it in
this case) if there are the quotation marks around the words already.
It is effective only when the quotation marks are adjacent to words,
doesn't check whether the quotation marks are not the ones used for
the neighboring words.  So, the following ones might cause a similar
(or another) problem:

From: " =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fghijkl,_Wolf-J=F6rg?= "
From: "FOO"=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fghijkl,_Wolf-J=F6rg?="BAR"

(It's very hard to distinguish which word is quoted by `"'s)

BTW, please keep in mind that quoted-encoded-words are all illegal.
RFC2047 says:

   + An 'encoded-word' MUST NOT appear within a 'quoted-string'.

Though Gnus decodes even such things for users' convenience.
The person's name should have been encoded as it is done by Gnus as
follows:

(rfc2047-encode-string "\"Fghijkl, Wolf-Jörg\"")
 => "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fghijkl=2C_Wolf-J=F6rg?="

Note that `, ' is encoded into `=2C_'.

Regards,