* datarootdir in Makefile.in
@ 2008-03-27 17:35 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-27 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: ding

Hi,

I looked thru the diffs of the Makefiles in v5-10 and trunk.

Why do we define `datarootdir' if it isn't used?

No_Gnus$ grep datarootdir Makefile.in */Makefile.in
Makefile.in:datarootdir = @datarootdir@
etc/Makefile.in:datarootdir = @datarootdir@
lisp/Makefile.in:datarootdir = @datarootdir@
texi/Makefile.in:datarootdir = @datarootdir@

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: datarootdir in Makefile.in
@ 2008-03-27 22:37 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-03-27 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I looked thru the diffs of the Makefiles in v5-10 and trunk.

> Why do we define `datarootdir' if it isn't used?

> No_Gnus$ grep datarootdir Makefile.in */Makefile.in
> Makefile.in:datarootdir = @datarootdir@
> etc/Makefile.in:datarootdir = @datarootdir@
> lisp/Makefile.in:datarootdir = @datarootdir@
> texi/Makefile.in:datarootdir = @datarootdir@

Those are only for silencing the configure script that I regenerated
using autoconf v2.61.  What configure issues is as follows:

config.status: WARNING:  Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting

Autoconf v2.60 or newer is required in order to make the following
feature go well, and the configure script generated by those
versions of autoconf issues it.

,---- (info "(gnus)No Gnus") ----
| * The installation directory name is allowed to have spaces
|   and/or tabs.
`----

cf. http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/thread=66238

I followed the way that has been done in the Emacs trunk.

2006-12-26  Andreas Schwab  <schwab@suse.de>

	* Makefile.in (datarootdir): Define.

Regards,

* Re: datarootdir in Makefile.in
@ 2008-03-29 11:57   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-29 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Mar 27 2008, Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>> Why do we define `datarootdir' if it isn't used?
[...]
> Those are only for silencing the configure script that I regenerated
> using autoconf v2.61.  What configure issues is as follows:
>
> config.status: WARNING:  Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting

Thanks for explaining.  I added this comment to the top-level Makefile.in:

| # Avoid "WARNING:  Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting":
| datarootdir = @datarootdir@

> ,---- (info "(gnus)No Gnus") ----
> | * The installation directory name is allowed to have spaces
> |   and/or tabs.
> `----

Do you think this change is safe enough to be included in v5-10?
(Before or after 5.10.10?)

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,

@ 2008-03-31  6:03     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-03-31  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Thanks for explaining.  I added this comment to the top-level Makefile.in:

>| # Avoid "WARNING:  Makefile.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting":
>| datarootdir = @datarootdir@

Thanks.

>> ,---- (info "(gnus)No Gnus") ----
>>| * The installation directory name is allowed to have spaces
>>|   and/or tabs.
>> `----

> Do you think this change is safe enough to be included in v5-10?
> (Before or after 5.10.10?)

Yes, I've merged it, verified it by

$ configure --prefix='/home/yamaoka/Program Files'
$ make install
$ make uninstall

, and installed it in the v5-10 branch.

Regards,