From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Unread articles
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:55:54 +0900	[thread overview]

> I updated both Emacs and Gnus to the latest CVS. Emacs is
> before-merge-unicode-to-trunk branch because some my elisp tools don't
> work with 23.0.60.

[...]

> And then, Gnus cannot handle the unread articles properly. For example,

[...]

> Also, there are sometimes some nnml groups which have no unread articles
> though I saw some Mail messages are splitted into these groups. In
> addition, when such nnml groups are listed in *Group* buffer, most of
> the "unread" articles have been already "read".

> Are there any bugs in Gnus's recent changes, or any problem in my ~/Mail
> directory?

I guess the .marks files aren't updated for some reason (NFS
problem?).  Could you try rebuilding all of them?  To do that,
remove the .marks file in every nnml group.  Then, they will be
re-generated automatically.  The .marks file for the
"nnml:ml.ding" group is normally "~/Mail/ml/ding/.marks", for
example.

Another way is to set the `nnml-marks-is-evil' variable to t.
But please note, you have to remove all the .marks files (for
re-genarating them) when you set that variable to nil again in
the future.