* gnus-message-citation-mode resets font-lock
@ 2012-03-08  5:57 Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2012-03-08  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hey gurus,

I have a problem with Ma Gnus v0.3 (I am using the tagged one from git
repo) on GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.24.9) of 2012-03-08.

Recipe:

emacs -q
eval:
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
      mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)
(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
      (lambda ()
        (whitespace-mode 1)))
C-x m # whitespace mode works - note the red marker on the space after
`Subject'
M-x gnus RET
C-x m # the marker is gone :(

Long story short, this bug is caused by gnus-message-citation-mode doing
some crazy font-lock stuff.  In particular that

(setq font-lock-set-defaults nil)
(font-lock-set-defaults)

in gnus-cite.el:1261 causes the trouble.

        Christopher

* Re: gnus-message-citation-mode resets font-lock
@ 2012-03-08  7:48 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-03-08  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> Hey gurus,

> I have a problem with Ma Gnus v0.3 (I am using the tagged one from git
> repo) on GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 2.24.9) of 2012-03-08.

> Recipe:

> emacs -q
> eval:
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
>       mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
>       (lambda ()
>         (whitespace-mode 1)))
> C-x m # whitespace mode works - note the red marker on the space after
> `Subject'
> M-x gnus RET
> C-x m # the marker is gone :(

Use `gnus-message-setup-hook' instead of `message-mode-hook', and
`whitespace-mode' should work.

> Long story short, this bug is caused by gnus-message-citation-mode doing
> some crazy font-lock stuff.  In particular that

> (setq font-lock-set-defaults nil)
> (font-lock-set-defaults)

> in gnus-cite.el:1261 causes the trouble.

This is what I did five years ago, and was necessary to make
the value of `gnus-message-citation-keywords' reflect to font-lock.
It is to replace existing font-lock keywords, but TRT will probably
be to merge.  Though I have neither an idea nor time now, I'd like
to fix it some day.