From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: PATCH: Make nnrss include RSS dc:subject
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:45:35 +0900	[thread overview]

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>> ;; I don't usually use nnrss.

> You say this a lot.  Do you read a lot of feeds?  Do you read all of them
> with nnshimbun?

Yes.  Since I am one of the maintainers and need to check that
they all are going well, I am subscribing to a lot of shimbun
groups.  I actually read only a few groups among them, though.

> I read all of my feeds in Gnus and nnrss generally does a good enough job
> for me (I'm pretty easy to please :)

I also admit the usefulness of nnrss, especially if articles
contain some text, not only links.  I have ever a bit considered
about an easy-to-use way to fetch full contents of links into
the article buffer.  It might be possible to achieve it, however
the article buffer will necessarily be filled with a large amount
of advertisement.

> Sometimes nnshimbun is better
> though--like for the emacswiki.org feed.  When I want to make small
> changes, like the nnrss change we're discussing, I'm not sure whether it's
> better to make the change in nnrss or nnshimbun.

Nnrss is sometimes good and nnshimbun is sometimes good.  Nnrss
is useful when I glance subjects in the summary buffer and pick
one, moreover nnrss need not follow to changes in news sites
since it works depending on only the xml standard.  The
advantage of nnshimbun is to remove advertisement.  However, the
module to deal with it with each news site is needed (e.g.,
sb-bbc.el for BBC), and we need to make major changes in those
modules periodically.