Adam Sjøgren wrote: > Oh, I can - evaluating: > (message (format "%s" ?\u00AB)) > in both mule and nomule XEmacs 21.4.22 gives me: > Symbol's value as variable is void: 00AB Yes, XEmacs 21.4 doesn't support such read sequence. > I wonder if it would work to simply replace ?\u00AB with 171. ?\« is ok for XEmacs 21.4 if it loads the Mule-UCS package that provides the utf-8 coding system. To use it, do: (require 'un-define) But as for loading gnus-spec.el, there's another problem for XEmacs 21.4; the coding cookie, put in the `Local Variables' section at the end of the file, won't be effective. So, gnus-spec.el will not necessarily be loaded as a utf-8 file. AFAIK, the only effective coding cookie is the one put at the beginning of a file. A patch that involves those consideration is below. BTW, isn't it possible for Gnus to drop the XEmacs 21.4 support?