* viewing `application/octet-stream' MIME parts
@ 2011-09-20 20:06 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-09-20 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

How can I view such MIME parts in-line?

The manual says:

  If builtin viewers can not display the object, Gnus resorts to
  external viewers in the ‘mailcap’ files.

So I created a ~/.mailcap file (just for testing):
application/pdf;           pdftotext %s -; copiousoutput # no problem here
application/octet-stream;  pdftotext %s -; copiousoutput # does not work

When a pdf attachment has the content type `application/pdf', there is
no problem, but if it's `application/octet-stream', then emacs wants to
save the file (`Save MIME part to ...'), when pressing RET.

Please find attached 2 pdf files, one with content type
`application/pdf' and the other with `application/octet-stream' as
example.

TIA for any help!

--
           Peter

[-- Attachment #2: test file 1 --]

[-- Attachment #3: test file 2 --]

* Re: viewing `application/octet-stream' MIME parts
@ 2011-09-20 20:16 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-09-20 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 22:06:38 +0200, Peter wrote:

> When a pdf attachment has the content type `application/pdf', there is
> no problem, but if it's `application/octet-stream', then emacs wants to
> save the file (`Save MIME part to ...'), when pressing RET.

I usually use "View interactively (v)" and tell Gnus what viewer to use,
or use "View as type (t)", where Gnus often guesses the type correctly.

It happens seldom enough that I use the mouse and right-click on the
attachment, I'm afraid.

   :-),

    Adam

--
 "You make a fair point. Knowing when not to say              Adam Sjøgren
  anything is not something the lazyweb had              asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: viewing `application/octet-stream' MIME parts
@ 2011-09-20 21:05   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-09-20 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Sep 20 2011, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

> I usually use "View interactively (v)" and tell Gnus what viewer to
> use,

Did you try it?  When I enter "pdftotext %s -", nothing happens

> or use "View as type (t)", where Gnus often guesses the type correctly.

Indeed, this works. But IMO, Gnus should use the mailcap entry for
application/octet-stream just the same way as any other entry.

So the question is, why doesn't Gnus use this mailcap entry?

Nevertheless, thanks for the "View as type", it's a nice workaround!

> It happens seldom enough that I use the mouse and right-click on the
> attachment, I'm afraid.

For me it happens never, always TAB and RET...
(the mouse is too far away)
;)

--
           Peter

* Re: viewing `application/octet-stream' MIME parts
@ 2011-09-20 22:21     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-09-20 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 23:05:41 +0200, Peter wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20 2011, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>> I usually use "View interactively (v)" and tell Gnus what viewer to
>> use,

> Did you try it?  When I enter "pdftotext %s -", nothing happens

I just entered "evince" at the "Viewer:"-prompt and saw a PDF with
"Hello world!" in it in the Evince-window that opened.

>> or use "View as type (t)", where Gnus often guesses the type
>> correctly.

> Indeed, this works. But IMO, Gnus should use the mailcap entry for
> application/octet-stream just the same way as any other entry.

That would be nice. On the other hand, the sender _did_ say that this
was just some arbitrary octets...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2011-09-20 23:05 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2011-09-20 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:
> How can I view such MIME parts in-line?
[...]
> [5. test file 2 --- application/octet-stream; test.pdf]...

Try `t' on the button and you will be prompted for another MIME
type (it will likely default to application/pdf).

* Re: viewing `application/octet-stream' MIME parts
@ 2011-09-21  7:50       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-09-21  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Sep 21 2011, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

>> Did you try it?  When I enter "pdftotext %s -", nothing happens
>
> I just entered "evince" at the "Viewer:"-prompt and saw a PDF with
> "Hello world!" in it in the Evince-window that opened.

Indeed, but I wanted it inline as text ...

> That would be nice. On the other hand, the sender _did_ say that this
> was just some arbitrary octets...

The sender just uses the "attach-file" function in his buggy MUA, and
the MUA does it wrong... :(

But anyway, I can always filter the arbitrary octets through a command
in my mailcap entry.

So my opinion is still: "RET" for viewing the MIME part using the
mailcap and "o" for saving it, and no exception for
application/octet-stream.

--
           Peter

* Re: viewing `application/octet-stream' MIME parts
@ 2011-09-21  7:59         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-09-21  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:50:58 +0200, Peter wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21 2011, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>>> Did you try it?  When I enter "pdftotext %s -", nothing happens
>>
>> I just entered "evince" at the "Viewer:"-prompt and saw a PDF with
>> "Hello world!" in it in the Evince-window that opened.

> Indeed, but I wanted it inline as text ...

Ah, sorry, I missed the "in-line" part.

>> That would be nice. On the other hand, the sender _did_ say that this
>> was just some arbitrary octets...

> The sender just uses the "attach-file" function in his buggy MUA, and
> the MUA does it wrong... :(

Yeah, buggy programs suck.

  Best regards,

     Adam