From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus-article-read-summary-keys: can't handle hidden summary buffer?
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:55:03 +0900	[thread overview]

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
>> Could you test this patch?

> That seems to fix the problem.

Installed in the Gnus trunk.

>> Even in the case where the summary buffer is hidden, the summary
>> window appears a moment (it is necessary for running a summary
>> command)

> I do notice some weird redisplay glitches where if something happens to
> cause redisplay (e.g. a garbage-collection message), the summary buffer
> will show up temporarily.  Kind of annoying but...

> Why is the summary window necessary for running a summary command?
> Can't they just act on the summary buffer?

> Thanks,

To be exact, what is really necessary is to restore the window
configuration after executing a summary command.  It is because
many summary commands run `(gnus-configure-windows 'article)'
which sets the window layout according to the variable
`gnus-buffer-configuration'.  For instance, the N command runs
it by way of `gnus-summary-next-article',
`gnus-summary-display-article' and `gnus-article-prepare', and
the summary window will appear.  Try this in the article buffer:

(progn
  (delete-other-windows)
  (sit-for 1)
  (with-current-buffer gnus-article-current-summary
    (gnus-summary-next-article)))

So even if `gnus-article-read-summary-keys' is made not to display
the summary window, it will be done by the others.  Probably the
present way was easy to coding.

In addition to this, it seems to have been also necessary to handle
the optional argument `not-restore-window' for the commands that do
not display the summary window.  I don't know what they were since
that option is never used now, though.  Anyway I think there is
still room for improvement in `gnus-article-read-summary-keys'.
To do at the beginning will be to remove the `not-restore-window'
option.

Regards,