From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
To: "Peter Münster" <pmlists@free.fr>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: several issues with non ascii characters in group names
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 08:29:28 +0900	[thread overview]

Peter Münster wrote:
> Sometimes, I use accented characters in group names. There are several
> problems with such groups:

> 1.) No completion on Gcc: line in message buffer

> For example, if I type "Gcc: st" and then press the TAB key, I get this
> completion buffer:

> Possible completions are:
> steph
> st\303\251phane

> But it should be "steph" and "stéphane".

> And there is no completion, when typing "sté" and then TAB.

I've fixed it in the Gnus Git master and the Emacs Bzr trunk.
Completion may take time if you have a ton of groups, though.

> 2.) Several entries in server buffer for the same group

> For the group "stéphane" for example, I have these lines in the server
> buffer:

*Group* buffer?

> U      8: stéphane
> U      1: stéphane
> U      1: stéphane
> U     10: stéphane

> Not a big problem, just strange.

I guess you have those four groups; in `active', the human-readable
names are the same but encodings differ.  A possible solution would
be to copy all the existing articles to a temporary group, delete
those non-ASCII groups, create the non-ASCII group again, and move
the saved articles there.

> 3.) Some messages are not displayed in summary buffer

> For example in my group "stéphane" there are 10 messages. There are also
> 10 lines in the Mail/stéphane/.overview file, but only 8 are displayed
> in the summary buffer. How can I see the other 2 messages in Gnus?

Does typing `10000 RET' on that group help?